Council rent - do you still get "free" weeks over Christmas?

Jeffrey Shaw

Various threads on same topic now merged (again).

Message added by Jeffrey Shaw

Can anyone tell me when the 2 rent free weeks are this Christmas? Is it this week and next or the next 2 weeks?

Thanks in advance

I believe it was in the paper last week, which I now no longer have...

HarleyKim, Council Tenants get two rent free weeks a year over the Xmas period

I always thought it was Christmas and Easter, If your talking about council rents.

it should be this week and next week if i remember rightly, the two weeks over xmas and new year :)

though that linky above porbably says that ;)

EDIT: yep it does ;)

Unfortunately, if people pay rent by direct debit/standing order in 12 equal instalments there are no free rent weeks. Basically council rent is worked out as an annual figure, and either divided by 12 as above, or divided by 50 for weekly payers. Its the same amount whichever way its paid, but sometimes it appears to be difficult for some monthly payers to understand the principle of how its calculated.

Can anyone tell me when the 2 rent free weeks are this Christmas? Is it this week and next or the next 2 weeks?

Thanks in advance

The free weeks are this week and next week!!Being a sheffield council tenant we definately deserve them dont we??!!!:)

The free weeks are this week and next week!!Being a sheffield council tenant we definately deserve them dont we??!!!:)

Yes - given that you've already paid for them throughout the rest of the year. :)

the rent free weeks are the week beginning the 18th and the 25th

Unfortunately, if people pay rent by direct debit/standing order in 12 equal instalments there are no free rent weeks. Basically council rent is worked out as an annual figure, and either divided by 12 as above, or divided by 50 for weekly payers. Its the same amount whichever way its paid, but sometimes it appears to be difficult for some monthly payers to understand the principle of how its calculated.

Which is precisely the reason I stopped paying by direct debit. Although I'm pleased to hear they're introducing weekly direct debits next year and also the facility to check your rent account, etc., online. About time they caught up with the technology :hihi:

Just wondered if council still do the 1 or 2 rent free weeks over Xmas and if so the dates?