First telephone

Got our first phone in 1969,and it was a party line.Can still remember number,Dronfield 2458.

Just called that number, a Chelsea player's dad answered!

Sorry stpetre don't understand that, please explain.

Sorry stpetre don't understand that, please explain.

A reference to Gary Cahill.

Edited by Jim Hardie

We've had a few 'Firsts' on here, like T.V's, cars etc. what about first telephone, either your own or parent's. Things like neighbours wanting to use it

and so on. Would imagine that being a nuisance in the 50's- 60's.

yes we had one in the 50s, i remember the no. 36042

Some information for you connected generally with Telephones. I was for many years an engineer on both GPO and BT. Out in the external cable network there were remains of such as telegraph poles erected by the National Telephone Company and also jointing chambers with metal lids, with the National Telephone names embossed on them. In some areas such as Ranmoor and Broomhill, cable had been provided in wooden troughing, their modern day equivalent being earthenware and plastic ducts. Many of you will have the incoming telephone wire to your house terminated on 2 insulating pots. The old what were referred to as open wires were 2 copper conductors, each terminated on the 2 pots. Open wires were phased out in the late 50's. In some locations there are flat metal plates indicating the presence of an underground jointing chamber, one close to Beauchief traffic lights. This one was fitted during the reign of George 6th.

Aren't I a sad person, but nice to see some of the past remaining around us !

My father was in business, so we had a car and phone from about 1950. We also had a party line with the lady who lived two doors down, and had the black phone with the front drawer for numbers!! A far cry from what we have now!

Our first phone was a green Trimphone installed in 1974. The number was Whitwell 777-very easy to remember.

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 11:14 ----------

Some information for you connected generally with Telephones. I was for many years an engineer on both GPO and BT. Out in the external cable network there were remains of such as telegraph poles erected by the National Telephone Company and also jointing chambers with metal lids, with the National Telephone names embossed on them. In some areas such as Ranmoor and Broomhill, cable had been provided in wooden troughing, their modern day equivalent being earthenware and plastic ducts. Many of you will have the incoming telephone wire to your house terminated on 2 insulating pots. The old what were referred to as open wires were 2 copper conductors, each terminated on the 2 pots. Open wires were phased out in the late 50's. In some locations there are flat metal plates indicating the presence of an underground jointing chamber, one close to Beauchief traffic lights. This one was fitted during the reign of George 6th.

Aren't I a sad person, but nice to see some of the past remaining around us !

I too used to work for PO Telephones/ BT. I too notice these relics from the past so you are not the only one! Incidentally my current phone was served by open wires up to about 10 years ago when there was a plant uplift program. The DP serving my phone is an original ring-type dating from 1957.

Edited by fatrajah

1957, party line, my dad was scared to death of it, if it rang he wouldn't answer it but just sit there with a look of fear!

Had my first phone when I moved into a bungalow at Bramley, Rotherham, in 1974 which already had a line installed. Think it was a Trim Phone. I currently have a 1940s black bakelite phone and a 1960s ivory coloured plastic one.

Also have a modern phone with volume control and bells and whistles etc. as my hearing hasn't kept pace :) The old dial phones are no good either when trying to deal with an answerphone message or get through to a specific department and a pre recorded message asks you to press this or that button, and then, that or the other button... etc.:)

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 12:16 ----------

My former wife was a telephonist at the post office buildings in Fitzallen Square in the early'60s, prior to 'Subscriber Trunk Dialing'. It was regarded as a prestigious job in those days.

There were dozens of operators there working on the 'eyeball' type equipment and a supervisor seated on a dais at the end of the room ruling with a rod of iron.

My Mum worked there too between 1942 and 1954.

Having worked there alone meant she could walk into another telephonist job anywhere such was the prestige of the training and discipline.

...Many of you will have the incoming telephone wire to your house terminated on 2 insulating pots...
Yes, when I moved into my Wadsley bungalow it still had a bracket and two pots. Some people even collect them..:)

I remember way back in the early 50's my great grandma having one of those tall black bakerlight vertical telephones that the talking piece hangs from two arms.

You had to hold the mouthpiece in one hand whilst holding the earpiece in the other.

She had a little wooden box at the side of the phone.....when she wanted to dial out, she had to wind the handle on the little wooden box to get a line to the telephone exchange before she could make the call.

You sometimes see these phones in the old Black + White films on the telly.