Virgin media poor wi fi

my freind has virgin media with so called super hub ,this is downstairs in living room, the wi wi upstairs is poor to none working have called virgin on numerous occasions but they cant find problem can anyone suggest any remedy

Yes.

Change it to a "modem only" in the settings and get a decent WiFi router to use instead.

the Virgin Media routers are restricted by the Virgin custom Firmware which disables many of the router's functions, including turning up the WiFi strength.

tbh, the Virgin Superhub 2 is better than any router I have had, purchased or not in terms of WiFi range and strength..

I can go out side, across the road, and down the hill a little and still get it! :)

Edited by Ghozer

tbh, the Virgin Superhub 2 is better than any router I have had, purchased or not in terms of WiFi range and strangth..

I can go out side, across the road, and down the hill a little and still get it! :)

I can agree with this as my dads doesn't disconnect until you get 6 houses down!! my sky one I,m lucky if I get a connection on front garden...which to be honest I like as it helps prevent wireless hacking

Interesting comments - I know someone who wished they hadn't moved to Virgin - had numerous problems, had them out several times but friends across the street have no issues! Go Figure!

Probably the first super hub not 2 , ours is garbage ,had to get a wifi repeater

I will admit, the "Superhub" was pretty poor, I had problems, They upgraded me to the "Superhub 2" (while they were still in trial) and it's been much better.... and the Wi-Fi strength is amazing, and it's dual band, so I can use 2.4 and 5Ghz, and you can set up to 3 Wireless AP's per radio, so you can have MAC address filtered Guest networks, or time limited guest networks etc (all configured within the router)

MUCH better! :)

There is the odd drop out, but that's another issue (the weather leaks into the box, it's on for repair and they know about it, and give me a small discount each month till it's fixed)

I phoned up Virgin to bitch about the poor wireless signal of the original superhub (I couldn't even get a strong wireless signal in the next room) and they upgraded me to the Superhub2 for "free" (subject to a £20 delivery charge :o ) and it's a VAST improvement.

Now I get a strong signal all over the house (a Victorian terrace, with double-brick internal walls; I dread to think what it's doing my brain) and coupled with the free boost to 50Mb I got a couple of months back, I'm getting 55Mb download speeds.

yeah , mines rubbish too, perhaps a change is on the cards

We changed our Hub to the Hub 2 a few months ago, set it up on the 5Ghz for all the gadgets in the house and the wi-fi was terrible, so i dropped it down to the 2.4Ghz and it has been fine since..