Can you get sacked for comments on facebook?

hi im just wondering if its legal to get sacked about comments made on facebook ?? any help please

And quite rightly too.

I disagree.

Most people have been in a pub or wherever and have said they've had a crap week/day at work etc should they be sacked as well?

It's basically the same thing.

was a lady a while ago worked in a care home and made comments on facebook about the residence that were not very nice she got the sack!

I disagree.

Most people have been in a pub or wherever and have said they've had a crap week/day at work etc should they be sacked as well?

It's basically the same thing.

no its not, a comment in a pub is to a handfull of people who will forget it, a comment on facebook can be seen by millions and will exist forever.

no its not, a comment in a pub is to a handfull of people who will forget it, a comment on facebook can be seen by millions and will exist forever.

No it's not

If you have your settings correct then only your friends can see it and therefore the situation is the same as it would be in a pub.

What if you have it set to friends, but an alleged 'friend' drops them in it by showing them the comments or doing a screengrab? Would it be still taken into account?

With under 12 minths (and soon to be 2 years) employment, they can sack you as unsuitable anyway. After that period of time, you'd maybe (I dont know the Law on this) have to prove it was a private friends setting and not public.

If you threw a sickie and put on FB that you were actually at the seaside for the day, and a 'friend' on the list showed it to your boss on their FB account, then this would be seen as misconduct and a disciplinary could ensue as it was proven to show you lied.

Its not the same as it being just an opinion. I think in that case, you could be looking at a warning if what you said wasnt so bad ie 'im bored at this place', but not a dismissal as its not an example of gross misconduct. However if your opinion on FB was that the boss was a murdering so and so who robbed a bank in 1983 and it was all lies, then that would be, I imagine, a sackable comment!

Edited by indizine

No it's not

If you have your settings correct then only your friends can see it and therefore the situation is the same as it would be in a pub.

It's really not the same. But generally slagging off a company online where there's a trace is never a good idea - even if it's only your friends who see it.

It's never a good idea to write anything bad on paper, Fb etc, you never know who's hands it will reach.

Care workers are bound by the confidentiality agreement with their employer, NOT to disclose any private information to others unless the resident agrees to this.