Tory Manifesto on Social Care.

Theresa May has certainly taken advantage of her big lead in the polls to propose a change which will probably affect her core supporters more than most.

5 years of nursing care would cost around £200,000 at today's prices and for a couple would make a big hole in any accumulated wealth including property.

I think this could be big vote loser as people appreciate the implications.

I'm not arguing that it is wrong,but many people wish to pass their wealth on to the next generation,and after a full working,and taxed life will seek to avoid handing a very heavy tax back the government.

Personally I would prefer to pay for any care that we might need via National Insurance and other life time taxation.

I am sure that many older people with children and grand children will seek to run down their own wealth by gifting whatever they can afford during their lifetime.

Might as well make euthanasia available as well,as I don't want to pay heavily for the pleasure of hanging about in a nursing home.

It's not just people in care homes though is it?

Now Theresa May is including your house in the means testing for 'at home care.'

So basically everyone with a house will have to pay the full cost of home care.

That could be a fatal error by May.

I agree.

But once again the DM spin doctors proclaim in 2" high Headlines;

"You won't have to sell home to pay for your care."

How many people will bother to read further? No, they'll just claim it after you die.... Semantics eh...

That could be a fatal error by May.

Ture , people don't read the small print and only hits when it effects them personally. Social care has been really hit hard by cut after cut I don't see a Tory government picking up a bill for someone's care remember property prices are much higher now than in the past so most will have to sell their homes smoke and mirrors comes to mind .

I agree.

But once again the DM spin doctors proclaim in 2" high Headlines;

"You won't have to sell home to pay for your care."

How many people will bother to read further? No, they'll just claim it after you die.... Semantics eh...

Maybe this would be a better headline.

"Assets including property over £100,000k, you pay for care"

I think it opens many avenues for criticism from all parties including Conservative voters.

We have to accept that care must be paid for one way or another.

This proposal creates a great differentiation in the cost of care required for different circumstances.

As things stand (but for how long) illnesses treated under the NHS are free,apart from the cost of prescriptions.

Others requiring care at home or nursing homes such as Alzheimer's or Dementia would deplete even a paper millionaires wealth over a period.

I am concerned that we are heading for a heartless regime where you are required to look after number one ,and can only hope that a strong opposition can temper the Conservatives over the next couple of years.

I will start by not voting for them.

I think it opens many avenues for criticism from all parties including Conservative voters.

We have to accept that care must be paid for one way or another.

This proposal creates a great differentiation in the cost of care required for different circumstances.

As things stand (but for how long) illnesses treated under the NHS are free,apart from the cost of prescriptions.

Others requiring care at home or nursing homes such as Alzheimer's or Dementia would deplete even a paper millionaires wealth over a period.

I am concerned that we are heading for a heartless regime where you are required to look after number one ,and can only hope that a strong opposition can temper the Conservatives over the next couple of years.

I will start by not voting for them.

The way it's going anyone over the age of retirement is going to be charged for being ill.

This is another bedroom tax. Once this starts getting implemented and millions of people are having charges applied to their property it is going to get nasty.

And how is it going to be paid for after the event? Can you imagine?

Carers come and go, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day for 15 minutes. Not often the same one 2 days running. Some times they turn up sometimes they don't. Sometimes 30 minutes or an hour has been paid for but they only stay 10 minutes etc. Bearing in mind this will be costing at least £20 an hour, 7 days a week, possibly going on for years Every case will be different.

So after the person has died and the house is sold, how will anyone know what the final bill should be, going back possibly years?

What an open cheque book opportunity that will be.....

Carers come and go, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day for 15 minutes. Not often the same one 2 days running. Some times they turn up sometimes they don't. Sometimes 30 minutes or an hour has been paid for but they only stay 10 minutes etc. Bearing in mind this will be costing at least £20 an hour, 7 days a week, possibly going on for years Every case will be different.

So after the person has died and the house is sold, how will anyone know what the final bill should be, going back possibly years?

What about when one partner in a couple dies, but by that point there is a massive charge against the property. The survivor

1. Can't Sell the house without paying the charge

2. Has their options for equity release curtailed

It's a despicable policy

Trust me the bill will be big care homes for example £600 per week , carers bill around £50 per week prices vary from company to company sky's the limit.