Stop 8 week old puppy from biting hard

I have a 8 week old cocker spaniel she's adorable but she just lunges at me when she wants to play she jumps up and bites hard I say no or ouch louder and give a toy I need help

I have a 8 week old cocker spaniel she's adorable but she just lunges at me when she wants to play she jumps up and bites hard I say no or ouch louder and give a toy I need help

Stop rewarding her for biting you.

Try turning your back on her and ignoring her, she will soon learn that biting does not get her anything.

Stop rewarding her for biting you.

Try turning your back on her and ignoring her, she will soon learn that biting does not get her anything.

Yep I agree say ouch loudly, turn you back and give no attention at all.

It's normal behaviour so be patient some dogs mouth more than others .

Pups do that to each other to see how far they can push it. We have always make a noise like a fellow pup would yelp when bitten too hard them calmly turned away and don't give any attention for a few seconds. It has always quickly stopped hard puppy biting for us. None of our dogs has nibbled for long or too hard for very long.

Some great info on this website here : https://positively.com/dog-behavior/nuisance-behaviors/nipping/

Great for future reference too - plus using only positive methods.

She doesn't mention anything about yelping. Pups nip each other when playing until they know it hurts ie its litter mate yelps. The pup then backs off and stops nipping, hence me suggesting the op yelps. Its worked with our four high drive working Shepherds.

try spraying the pup with cold water it does not harm the pup

It works with our dog

try spraying the pup with cold water it does not harm the pup

It works with our dog

I have used water with my own dogs before, when I had great danes as they're so powerful it's a struggle to keep them under safe control and have the time to train them as our first wasn't a pup and had some aggression issues.

However, spraying water is a form of punishment and could confuse a puppy and possibly have a negative effect like instilling fear and anxiety around humans as they may be weary of how humans react to them. A puppy needs to be taught what is acceptable behaviour first. Like chez2 says, it needs to be taught that biting causes pain and is unwanted attention.

Sorry did not make advice very clear

Should have mentioned the spray was from an old scent bottle

Oh so you mean more of a misting than spraying. My dogs would probably like that hehe.

Fine for adult dogs with established boundaries, but I'd still be cautious using it with a puppy who doesn't yet know the rules etc and with a submissive dog prone to fear. I'd use a sharp ouch sound and walk away like others have said. Puppies crave attention and want to form a strong bond. You have to form that bond and earn their trust and teach them social etiquette.

---------- Post added 08-05-2017 at 10:10 ----------

Cockers are quite mouthy because they're gundog breeds. A ball/dummy/soft toy etc will be a great tool to allow them to carry around. I would also teach a cocker how to retrieve either by simple games of fetch including a drop command (different to leave) or have some gundog lessons for fun and learn a gundog retrieve as you would be able to use that activity to bond and play, and get them using their brains, and burning energy, for the rest of their lives. Doing so would also make them less inclined to mouth hands etc without even needing to correct mouthing.

Edited by H_Hounds

Oh so you mean more of a misting than spraying. My dogs would probably like that hehe.

Fine for adult dogs with established boundaries, but I'd still be cautious using it with a puppy who doesn't yet know the rules etc and with a submissive dog prone to fear. I'd use a sharp ouch sound and walk away like others have said. Puppies crave attention and want to form a strong bond. You have to form that bond and earn their trust and teach them social etiquette.

I also tried the water thing to try and stop mine from eating cat poo while out walking. As she was a Lab she enjoyed both the water and the poo. So it didn't work for me. Lol

I also tried the water thing to try and stop mine from eating cat poo while out walking. As she was a Lab she enjoyed both the water and the poo. So it didn't work for me. Lol

I am so there with you!