NHS Insufficient Pain Relief

Try Bu Trans patches 5mg they are powerful drug so think about the pros and cons first. I use them they did take a bit of getting used too but the upside is they only need changing every seven days unlike tablets which you need to remember when you took them. Don't go near everything that is very hot it can effect the patch or wear them in the shower .

These patches are an opioid and can become addictive.

Waldo

I'm not offering out medical advice. However, my partner was prescribed " Tramadol "for pain caused by a cancerous tumour . It's an opiate based painkiller and is a scheduled drug. The local chemist dispenses it. The upshot is that there are stronger painkillers than : Paracetamol, Ibruefen and Codeine .

Your G.P should be able to prescribe stronger painkiller s.https://www.drugs.com/tramadol.html

Edited by petemcewan

Waldo

I'm not offering out medical advice. However, my partner was prescribed " Tramadol "for pain caused by a cancerous tumour . It's an opiate based painkiller and is a scheduled drug. The local chemist dispenses it. The upshot is that there are stronger painkillers than : Paracetamol, Ibruefen and Codeine .

Your G.P should be able to prescribe stronger painkiller s.https://www.drugs.com/tramadol.html

Thanks mate.

My relative was prescribed it on her most recent visit to GP, a few days ago. It's the 'something' I mentioned in the OP, on GP visit 3. She says it only provides relief for about 1.5 hours, which is okay, but she's only supposed to be taking 2 a day; so, grateful for 3 hours of relief of course; but all in all it's not really fully addressing her pain control needs (21 other hours in the day).

Thanks. :)

Thanks mate.

My relative was prescribed it on her most recent visit to GP, a few days ago. It's the 'something' I mentioned in the OP, on GP visit 3. She says it only provides relief for about 1.5 hours, which is okay, but she's only supposed to be taking 2 a day; so, grateful for 3 hours of relief of course; but all in all it's not really fully addressing her pain control needs (21 other hours in the day).

Thanks. :)

Bu Trans patches, as Pattricia has said, are used to dispense morphine through the skin on a 24/7 basis. As with all opiates, they have side effects, such as feeling drowsy, you may find driving dangerous, and constipation. They are also likely to be addictive, but people in constant pain are unlikely to be put off by this.

Waldo, sorry to hear about your relative, there's nothing more debilitating than constant pain, and maybe it's even harder to take as we get older. You don't mention whether anything has been diagnosed so that you know what is causing the pain. I'm a great believer that pain is the indication something is wrong and it's that which needs diagnosing and treating - rather than just masking it with pain relief. Are G.P's being cautious because of her age or because of other medication she takes? Take care as to what non-medical advice you take, however well meaning it is. Hope you find something soon.

These patches are an opioid and can become addictive.

Correct but the cold turth is a lot of pain killers can become addictive you have to weigh up the benefits against negatives it's not a easy choice.

The GP will be titrating the dose - they don't usually just whack someone on a really strong painkiller straight off.

Is the twice a day tablet (I think you said that's the tramadol) a modified release tablet?

You also said that seems to be mildly effective - there is still "some pain and discomfort" - is this bearable? Is the cause of pain something that's acute and will potentially resolve or something that's going to be ongoing?

Is your relative taking lots of other tablets that might interact?

Are they getting side effects from the pain relief?

How long has this been going on - has there been enough time to tell if the medication is effective?

Just a few considerations...

Waldo

after a recent operation the hospital prescribed one tramadol taken with two Paracetamol every four hours if I remember correctly, the combination was very effective.