The "I am currently reading" thread

Just finished 'Little Ripper' by Charles West, an Australian-set crime novel form 1991. It was the third in his Paul Crook series. If you get hot under the collar about racist and sexist language this probably isn't one for you, but I enjoyed it and it had a somewhat unexpectedly downbeat ending. I was surprised to find that the author is actually British.

Now regressing to childhood with 'Just William's Luck' by Richmal Crompton.

I know I'm a bit late on reading this one as it's been out a few years, but I bought it in a charity shop last month, at the moment I'm reading Bill Bryson's

'A short history of nearly everything'.

Different from his usual travelogues of which I've read quite a few but still a good read, explaining some of the things I've never had any idea about so that even I can understand some of it (I think).

Mind you there's been quite a bit of going over the last few pages. But I finally understand what 'half life' means.(I think).

- Different Class by Joanne Harris.

Turned out to be a twisty crime type novel, told through diary entries from two parties across two periods in time. Well written, good build-up of plot twists without losing credibility; but nothing outstanding for me.

Just started Art & Lies by Jeanette Winterson.

Some incredible writing and accessible exploration of themes of art / identity / philosophy (?) ... but not sure I fully get it just yet

Rubbernecker by Belinda Bauer. Meh, it's getting somewhere interesting but I'm already spotting some manipulative plot devices.

The Stand - Stephen King

Ive read it before but many moons ago, really enjoying it.

The Stand - Stephen King

Ive read it before but many moons ago, really enjoying it.

I've sporadically read a few of Kings books but can't say I've really enjoyed any of them fully.

I'm a little over half-way through The Last Templar by Raymon Khoury. It's in the same vein as The Da Vinci Code but does not have the page-turning quality as the Dan Brown novel. On the plus side, the dialogue is not as excruciating. The momentum builds well until about the half-way mark, but after that it starts to dissipate in a series of minor adventures. I doubt if I can be bothered to finish the book.

I heard someone a while ago talking about some sort of psychology book about a soldier in a Japanese work camp and his daily struggles and the mental effect it had on him, does anyone know what this book might have been?

Zombie Apocalypse, written in the same vain as World War Z it's a series of communications email, letters, text messages etc... Recalling a personal veiw of the events in London of the Zombie plague. Quite good actually.

Just finished Old Man's War by John Scalzi. I'm not usually a great fan of militaristic SF but this is really good - clever ideas, good dialogue, well structured.

Next on the list is Cat among the Herrings by L.C. Tyler, the latest (sixth) in his series of crime novels about failed crime novelist Ethelred Tresidder and his more down-to-earth chocolate-loving agent Elsie Thirkettle. This whole series has been very amusing as well as really cleverly done and I'm sure this one will be no different.

A review copy of leisure and pleasure in the 19th century by Stella Margetson from 1969. An interesting history only spoiled by her use of lots of French terms that can easily be conveyed in English. Is that how writers tried to appear more sophisticated in the late 60's or is she emulating 19th century snobbery?

Sculptor's Daughter by Tove Jansson. The author's recollections of childhood. No Moomins.