Statesmanlike speech on terrorism from Jeremy Corbyn.

Jeremy Corbyn has just made a very measured, respectful and statesmanlike speech on terrorism. I'm getting that out there because I suspect it will be used against him by taking bits out of context. It has to be heard in its entirety. He has addressed the problems sequentially and directly and come up with ideas on how it should be tackled more effectively.

A brave speech that others have shied away from.

---------- Post added 26-05-2017 at 12:54 ----------

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/jeremy-corbyns-speech-terrorism-full-transcript/#

Can't find it on youtube yet, this is the best link I can find so far.

Yes IV heard his speech basically he's right . May bangs on about Trident but the new threat to world peace is terrorism Trident is a hang over from the Cold War great back then but of no real use in a war against terrorism. We need to get into IS network with ' moles' who can find out any plots and relay the information back .

Yes IV heard his speech basically he's right . May bangs on about Trident but the new threat to world peace is terrorism Trident is a hang over from the Cold War great back then but of no real use in a war against terrorism. We need to get into IS network with ' moles' who can find out any plots and relay the information back .

Im on the fence as far as trident is concerned. But, we arent world leaders anymore and by binning off of nuclear deterent our level of importnace at the top table will reduce further, because as an absolute cast iron fact, the US, Russia and everyone else with nuclear weapons will not get rid of them. We'll just look more insular than we're already starting to look.

This is a global problem, but a problem that could be reduced on our doorstep by abadoning all and any desert based wars or intervention. We could stop selling weapons (the cost on jobs and tax revenue would be massive) but our children would be safer. Children in places like libya etc would arguably be a lot less safer. Theyll get weapons from somewhere.

Im on the fence as far as trident is concerned. But, we arent world leaders anymore and by binning off of nuclear deterent our level of importnace at the top table will reduce further, because as an absolute cast iron fact, the US, Russia and everyone else with nuclear weapons will not get rid of them. We'll just look more insular than we're already starting to look.

This is a global problem, but a problem that could be reduced on our doorstep by abadoning all and any desert based wars or intervention. We could stop selling weapons (the cost on jobs and tax revenue would be massive) but our children would be safer. Children in places like libya etc would arguably be a lot less safer. Theyll get weapons from somewhere.

Agree with a lot of what you say but the Trident situation is a problem with me.

You hit the nail right on the head with your ' Top Table' comment.

That's what it's all about, being able to mix with the bigger boys and act statesman like for the media.

Politicians egos and after dinner speech fees when they retire.

Trident is costing the country billions at a time when that money is needed elsewhere.

Of the nine current nuclear powers we are unique in being the only one that relies on another nation to design, supply, maintain and test our deterrent.

We may be at the top table but we are the poor relations only able to be there because we've been lent a helping hand.

How much respect do you think that brings us?

Germany has no nuclear weapons but is held in at least as high if not higher regard than the UK because of its economic success and influence in Europe.

Time for our politicians to face up to the fact that the Empire went years ago and we need to adjust our thinking accordingly.

We do need to maintain a highly trained and motivated security defence force in order to protect ourselves but we neither need nor can afford to continue with a weapon which would only be used in a doomsday scenario and makes us a target for a preemptive strike.

Jeremy Corbyn has just made a very measured, respectful and statesmanlike speech on terrorism. I'm getting that out there because I suspect it will be used against him by taking bits out of context. It has to be heard in its entirety. He has addressed the problems sequentially and directly and come up with ideas on how it should be tackled more effectively.

A brave speech that others have shied away from.

---------- Post added 26-05-2017 at 12:54 ----------

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/jeremy-corbyns-speech-terrorism-full-transcript/#

Can't find it on youtube yet, this is the best link I can find so far.

That's one of the first speeches made by a politician I've welled up at. Nothing more to say really.

Agree with a lot of what you say but the Trident situation is a problem with me.

You hit the nail right on the head with your ' Top Table' comment.

That's what it's all about, being able to mix with the bigger boys and act statesman like for the media.

Politicians egos and after dinner speech fees when they retire.

Trident is costing the country billions at a time when that money is needed elsewhere.

Of the nine current nuclear powers we are unique in being the only one that relies on another nation to design, supply, maintain and test our deterrent.

We may be at the top table but we are the poor relations only able to be there because we've been lent a helping hand.

How much respect do you think that brings us?

Germany has no nuclear weapons but is held in at least as high if not higher regard than the UK because of its economic success and influence in Europe.

Time for our politicians to face up to the fact that the Empire went years ago and we need to adjust our thinking accordingly.

We do need to maintain a highly trained and motivated security defence force in order to protect ourselves but we neither need nor can afford to continue with a weapon which would only be used in a doomsday scenario and makes us a target for a preemptive strike.

Fun fact, Germany export more weapons than we do, which all adds grist to the economic mill, So do France (bu they're a nuclear power I think).

While I'm at it, we have year on year, spent money on fighter jets (specifically interceptors) without complaint. The only aircraft the Raf have shot down since world war 2 is one of our own. Some can be used to against ground targets but not all by any stretch.

Corbyn is beginning to grow on people and May is running a poor campaign.

It's difficult to think what the hell is going on in the minds of the people responsible for the Torys campaign.

What were they thinking about when they thought that it would be a good idea to overturn the fox hunting ban?

I know it's stereotyping, but surely people who dress up and hunt foxes on horseback mainly vote Conservative anyway?

An election campaign is all about attracting votes, what advantage did they think that piece of idiocy was going to bring?

Most voters live in towns and cities, they think fox hunting is cruel and the people who do it are a bunch of inbred toffs.

That bright idea lost votes.

Then the U turn on the dementia tax!

They appear incapable of thinking through the consequences of some of the nonsense that comes out of their mouths.

This isn't filling me with confidence for the upcoming Brexit negotiations let me tell you!

I'm not a supporter of any political party and I don't think that Corbyn is believable as a Prime Minister, having said which the constant media bullying is making me sympathetic toward him, and the evident Tory incompetence is making me ask " could he do any worse? "

Basically all of them appear second rate, and that's being kind to a few of them.

---------- Post added 26-05-2017 at 15:05 ----------

Fun fact, Germany export more weapons than we do, which all adds grist to the economic mill, So do France (bu they're a nuclear power I think).

While I'm at it, we have year on year, spent money on fighter jets (specifically interceptors) without complaint. The only aircraft the Raf have shot down since world war 2 is one of our own. Some can be used to against ground targets but not all by any stretch.

Yes France is a nuclear power, they pay a lot more for their system because it is completely independent.

If like me you were a fan of 'Yes Prime Minister' you will probably remember that Sir Humphrey wanted us to retain a nuclear deterrent not because of the Russians, but because of the French!

Our defence policy gives the impression that it's disjointed.

In the letters page of the Times you regularly get letters from ex Generals, Air Marshals and Admirals.

They invariably make me smile because you know which branch of the services the writer served with in the first few sentences.

The Generals wants more troops and tanks, the Air Marshals want more planes and the Admirals want more ships.

Problem being that we are faced with a different type of threat for which regular forces can only be of limited help.

The police and the security services want billions to combat the present danger and we can't afford everything.

Something has to go and Trident is of least use to us under the present circumstances.

A good speech but no mention of Trident or getting rid of it as that would be the one thing to guarantee my vote.

A good speech but no mention of Trident or getting rid of it as that would be the one thing to guarantee my vote.

Im no fan of corbyn, but I have to say it was a good speech. But I read it rather than heard it - that could be corbyns problem?

You can see his speech on terrorism delivered today here:

A reasonable parochial speech to the flock.........didn't hear anything to address the problems of terrorism!

A reasonable parochial speech to the flock.........didn't hear anything to address the problems of terrorism!

Then you weren't paying attention.

Corbyn may or may not be right but what you have written there is rubbish.