WW1 Sheffield men

hi all

this is a biggy!

i have 3 long term projects on the go at the minute.

the war history of my great grand father, L/cpl 53521 Albert Dale, 2nd Bn york and Lancs, KIA 18/9/18 this is a 7 yr work in progress but about 99% complete. just need a photo of him.

L/cpl 6012 George William Redfearn Glossop, KOYLI KIA 18/4/15. he was my mothers grand mothers first husband. i have just started on george.

and then this one!

this is really long term

im am going to try and attempt to list and chronicle every sheffield born man/woman who died in the great war, or died later as a result of wounds gas etc. thats the army, navy and flying corps. i will be after name,rank,No, age, where lived, where died and buried, photos, jobs they did before war, etc etc. everything and anything on these men and women. i already have basis details on about 5000 men at present. i am aware of the sheffield roll of honor, but this included men domeciled or working in sheffield, i am after men born in sheffield. i have also trawled the SDGW cd and CWGC. also looking for any works memorial plaques around sheffield. am aware of a few of these already and have got the details off them.

i know this is a massive request forumers but these men need remembering and there isn't one comprehensive data bank in this city i know of.

re photographs, papers, letters etc, - i am not asking for any originals, just copies. they are yours and priceless.

many thanks in advance

Dean

ps. if this takes off i will leave the thread running and post replies as they build up.

Dean

I wish you all the best with your project and sincerely hope you find a picture of your great grandfather. How about this for a coincidence, believe it or not yesterday I acquired a photo of my own great grandfather killed in WW1. I became aware of the location of his grave through the cwgc website in 1998and although I visited his grave, could not locate a photograph of him. It has taken me until now to locate one which my great aunt sent me yesterday, so my advice is don't give up !

Indeed it will be a massive venture to locate details of all Sheffield men killed in WW1 and I wish you every success. PM me with your email address and I will send you details of my Great grandfather who was born and lived in Attercliffe.

Hi Dean,

This really is a big task. Do you really want to go it alone?

I would've thought that you may be able to attract quite a number of people to help with this, and to do it over several years. You might even be able to source funding to pay for equipment, costs, etc. Something like this could be a major project involving lots of interested local historians - many of whom have experience of WWI research. Not least, if you're effectively creating an archive, even a digital archive, then Local Studies and/or Sheffield Archives could/should be involved - at least to oversee digitisation according to latest standards, so the archive can be deposited and recognised as a valuable resource for future historians.

Have you decided where your geographical boundaries are going to lie? We're just writing up a major publication for a village nearby, with diaries, photographs, maps, memories of, for the 50+ men who died locally, together with census and CWGC information. Lots of these men hadn't been born locally, but were certainly 'locals', attracted to the area, or their parents had been attracted to the area, due to economic buoyancy of the previous decades. We found it impossible to exclude them.

Have you also decided upon a chronological boundary? I've come across men who died twenty years later from related wounds, and Sheffield men who committed suicide in the 1920s due to psychological damage caused by the war. I should imagine there will be difficult decisions to be taken about who to include.

Good luck with the project, it certainly needs doing and very impressed by how far you've got already.

All the best!

Red

hi Red

thanks for your reply and thoughts

i have given myself until 2014, to coincide with the start of ww1, to finnish? the project. although im sure it will be a work in progress for years to come what with errors and new information etc. my intention is to hand over the results to local studies or any other interested organisation, for future

generations.

Re funding, the first stop in researching a soldier is their Medal Index Card, downloadable from National Archives, But these are £3.50 a pop! so for the 5000 men i have already thats £17,500 !! any wealthy forumers out there?

Re geographical boundaries, Born in the recognised boundaries of sheffield at the outbreak of war. If any forumers could provide me with a list or map of the areas of sheffield at that time it would be very welcome.

Re chronological boundaries, if the war contributed to any ones demise in any way then i think they should be included.

Red, your the sort of person/group im looking for. getting the basics is quite easy, its putting a face or a letter etc to these men that is the challenge.

thanks again

Dean

I have a photograph of the chaps my grandpa served with in W W I, if you wish I could let you have a copy.

he was wounded in action, but thank god, he survived till 1971 (albeit with a gammy knee, and thrombosis)

thanks

i'd love a copy

Dean

hi there my great grandfather was shot in the back in france in ww1 he had constant pain and i believe this sent him mad , he died in a mental institution in 1929 age just 35 he left a wife and 3 small kids, me and my dad found his grave only last week in burngreave cemetary i think i have his army no and i also have a photo of him,his name was Harry Tuckwood and was from alfred road in attercliffe.

hi there

thanks for replying.

would love any info that i can get.

thanks again dean

tell me your address and i will send you what i have

My Grandfather did also, he use to go on and on about being in the French trenches, he said they walked so far the blood would seep out from the side of their boots.

Hello,

Here are my wife's two great uncles (both Somme casualties), if you don't already have their names:

------------------------------------------------------------

Private Albert Judge No. 235211 - York and Lancs. Regiment

KIA 18/05/1917 - Aged 20 - No known grave - Name on Bay 8, Arras Memorial. Born and raised on Bernard Street, Park

Private Charles H. Judge 19423 - 6th/7th Royal Scots Fusiliers

KIA 10/08/1916 -Age: Not known - No known grave - Name on Pier 3C Thieval Memorial

Also from Bernard Street, Park

Here's something else:

One evening in 1998, when it was just about dark, my wife and I were searching the registry in the cemetery at Hooge Crater on the Menin Road. We were looking for another distant relative but found this name:

Rifleman Charles Bertram Judge No.315151 - London Rifle Brigade

KIA 16/08/1917 - Age 18

Home address given as Northumberland Road, Sheffield

Hope this is all of some use

Regards