Hopkinson's Delicatessen, Broomhill 1952-1989

Does anyone remember my parents shop in Broomhill? It was a double fronted delicatessen selling speciality breads, meats, Kosher goods, wines and spirits. It was a lovely shop and part of Broomhill for so many years. Any memories would be welcome.

Didnt they have one at Upperthorpe as well amanda161

At the time I lived on Westbourne Road, I went in every week, it was a great shop and I always wondered why it closed.

I remember Hopkinson's in the late 50's occupying the lower half of the unit, the top half was occupied by Mr. Allen's watch repair and jewellery shop. When Mr. Allen retired the Hopkinson's extended. The next shop up, on the corner of Ashgate Road was a men's outfitter -the name is on the tip of my tongue, was it Godley's ? - this shop became Oxley's owned by Gerald Laitner in the early 60's. Below Hopkinson's was a double unit owned by the Walkerdine family who ran a shoe shop for many, many years. The Walkerdine children attended the Wesley Sunday School along with the Hopkinson children, and Linda Cornthwaite, whose parent's ran the chemist's in the second shop up from Ashgate Road. I also went to the Wesley S.S defecting from St. Mark's, because the girls were prettier. Below Walkerdine's was the sweet shop owned by Mr.Goodison who lived on Spooner Road. Below the sweet shop were two houses followed by a branch of the Solvo and Quick Press Laundry on the corner of Ashdell Road. The laundry had it's factory on Lydgate Lane and in the 1920's my Grandad kept his lorries and charabanc's in the laundry yard.

Yes, I remember the delicatessen - my parents had the Chocolate Soldier shop at the top of Glossop Road, we lived above the shop from 1981 - 1983 when they gave the shop up and eventually made chocolates at Ridgeway Craft Centre

There was also Bush's delicatessen on Glossop Road, if I remember rightly????

:) :)

There was also Bush's delicatessen on Glossop Road, if I remember rightly????:) :)
Yes - dead right! Bush's was a bit further up Glossop Road at No 495 (Hopkinson's was at 477/479) but when I was at King Edward's in the 1960s I always used to shop at Hopkinson's.:) (as did my mum when she worked nearby for a couple of years). Reginald P. Bush moved to Glossop Road from Middlewood Road in c. 1970 - the Bush family had been grocers in Hillsborough since "]Victorian times..:)

Yes - dead right! Bush's was a bit further up Glossop Road at No 495 (Hopkinson's was at 477/479) but when I was at King Edward's in the 1960s I always used to shop at Hopkinson's.:) (as did my mum when she worked nearby for a couple of years). Reginald P. Bush moved to Glossop Road from Middlewood Road in c. 1970 - the Bush family had been grocers in Hillsborough since "]Victorian times..:)

It must have been Bush's next door to us then, the choccy shop was at 497 Glossop Road!!!

Does anyone remember my parents shop in Broomhill? It was a double fronted delicatessen selling speciality breads, meats, Kosher goods, wines and spirits. It was a lovely shop and part of Broomhill for so many years. Any memories would be welcome.

Hi amanda161 was that the shop with the large red old fashioned coffee bean grinder just round the corner opposite the York Hotel?.:huh:

...was that the shop with the large red old fashioned coffee bean grinder just round the corner opposite the York Hotel?
Hi old tup - Hopkinson's shop was a bit lower down, just below Ashgate Road. Davy's shops usually had a large red coffee grinder and they had a branch further up at No 493 - here is a scan from the 1974 Kelly's Directory..:) Edited by hillsbro

It was Reginald P. Bush who had the old red coffee grinder, in the autumn steam would pour out of his upstairs window as he made his famous Christmas puddings.

I have spent more than sixty years in Broomhill, from being a toddler on reins, so I can remember quite a lot. In the fifties the corner of Glossop Road and Fulwood Road (501 Glossop Road) was wasteland with a high wooden fence. Eventually Interior Decorations (I.D) built their huge new shop here after relocating from further down Glossop Road from premises formerly occupied by Cockaynes who had returned to Angel Street.

The next shop down had been Woodhouse's the plumber's for as long as I can remember. After the archway under the clock came The Chocolate Soldier, though in my childhood it was Mr. Barron's sweetshop. Next came Reginald Bush, which in my childhood was a grocer's owned by Mr. Kesteven. He was a real eccentric, the shop window's being painted out - a remnant of the war?- making the shop very dark and messy inside, it had a spiral staircase. Although Mr. Kesteven drove an immaculate green Morris Minor Traveller.

Next shop down was Davy's, but this was never a real Davy's not being opened until after the chain was taken over by the Garfield Weston organisation, just a miserable bread shop. This shop was previously opened as the most fantastic bread, cake and sandwich shop by Mrs. Mabel Cotterill the highly successful business woman who owned the greengrocer's next door, now Lloyd's Bank. The Davy's unit had earlier been the well known Sheffield pottery shop Darley's who had relocated to Broomhill following the Blitz.

Next door to the bank is now a Guitar Shack but for many years was the chemist's shop owned by the Cornthwaite family. The corner shop was the barber's run by the Hinchcliffe father and son since the 1920's.

Hi IRONMONGER - some interesting recollections there! I'd noticed that 501 Glossop Road is a more modern building; to judge from the directories I have it dates from the early 1960s. Woodhouse's first appears around 1956. As you wrote "J.W. Kesteven, grocer" is shown at No 495 in the 1960s. This business is actually listed at the same address as long ago as 1905 in the name of John William Kesteven (1877-1952). His son, also John William, evidently took over the business. The family hailed from Rotherham where they had been tailors. No 493 is shown as "Cotterill's café" with "William Cotterill, florist" next door at No 491. Darley's is shown at No 493 from the 1942 directory onwards - before the war it had been a butcher's shop (directories from the 1930s show J.F. Darley at 181-187 The Moor - bombed out as you wrote). "Harold Cornthwaite, chemist" is shown at No 485 from 1942 until the last (1974) Kelly's Directory. The 1930 directory shows "Miss Brenda Allen, ladies' hairdresser" at No 483 on the corner, but by 1936 it was "Arnold Hinchliffe, hairdresser" and by the 1970s "D. Hinchliffe".

I remember that in Hillsborough in the 1950s, the three main grocers Hemmines, Davy's and Bush's all had big red coffee grinders (though they didn't seem to use them very much). I guess Reginald P. Bush took his machine with him when he moved from Middlewood Road to Broomhill around 1970..:)

I used to fix Reggie Bushes cars and vans in the 60s,the middlewood Rd shop was always stacked full and the assistants always wore whites as did Reg,a very nice shop and a pleasure to visit unlike todays shops which are a chore.