A star outside the Town Hall

I have read in the Star newspaper that nominations are req for prominent Sheffielders to be nominated so as they can have a star on the pavement outside the Town Hall . I would like to nominate Ida Naylor who's maiden name was Burgar.

Ida was one of the original Sheffield buffer girls who worked in the cutlery trade for many years a mucky and horrible job that helped to keep Sheffield in the fore front of World fame throughout the 20th century.

Now I know that it is usually the good and great who end up with all these honours usually sports people or politicians etc but Ida and men and women like her are the true back bone of Sheffield's history .

So she is my nomination for a Town Hall Star and after swallowing all that muck and dust she reaches the fine old age of 100 on Monday the 7th Jan.

Mine would be Harold John Burkill the pram man.

Good one.John is a star and proper Sheffielder.

I have read in the Star newspaper that nominations are req for prominent Sheffielders to be nominated so as they can have a star on the pavement outside the Town Hall . I would like to nominate Ida Naylor who's maiden name was Burgar.

Ida was one of the original Sheffield buffer girls who worked in the cutlery trade for many years a mucky and horrible job that helped to keep Sheffield in the fore front of World fame throughout the 20th century.

Now I know that it is usually the good and great who end up with all these honours usually sports people or politicians etc but Ida and men and women like her are the true back bone of Sheffield's history .

So she is my nomination for a Town Hall Star and after swallowing all that muck and dust she reaches the fine old age of 100 on Monday the 7th Jan.

There should be one for the people of Sheffield that put "Sheffield Made" on the map, most of the recipients are top earners but what about the Steel worker, the Cutlery worker, the Miner who did far more than the people who already have there names outside the Town Hall.

What about that couple that gave away most of their big lottery win. I forget their name but they are Sheffield United supporters.

What about that couple that gave away most of their big lottery win. I forget their name but they are Sheffield United supporters.

Ray and Barbara Wragg? They have their picture in Weston Park museum as prominent Sheffielders.

Charlie Peace.

Now I know old Charlie was a rum lad but having just read his life story I think that even Hollywood could not dream up a plot any where near the escapades that this notorious Sheffielder got up to in a life that ended on the Gallows at Armley Jail.

I realise that it usualy the good and great that make the blue Star outside the Town Hall but story's such as Charley,s are part of Sheffields folk law and should be remembered so as future generations can have an insight into not only the good feel factors arising from our citizens but also the Nitty Gritty bits as well.

And while we are at it how about the Duke of Darnall.

Edited by cuttsie

Talented violinist, was Charlie - known as the poor mans Paganini. Although he was know to carry other than a violin in the case.

Talented violinist, was Charlie - known as the poor mans Paganini. Although he was know to carry other than a violin in the case.

Good on ya!

Unfortunately , as some have suggested , that accolade will go to those who have made it on the backs of others and not on their own merits , as is usually the case.

Having said that . There are some who have genuinely contributed a great deal to the city -including the lowly .

Let us hope that common sense and sobriety prevails and less of the back scratching .

Good on ya!

Unfortunately , as some have suggested , that accolade will go to those who have made it on the backs of others and not on their own merits , as is usually the case.

Having said that . There are some who have genuinely contributed a great deal to the city -including the lowly .

Let us hope that common sense and sobriety prevails and less of the back scratching .

Yes it would be good to see a furnace hand or a fettler,grinder, buffer,postperson, roadsweeper, nurse, architect, miner,or even a bricki get the star treatment.

As you say lets hope that the troffers and jobs for the boys mob don't start polishing their stars outside the Town Hall.