Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hi brian1941,

I would have paid a penny to go up the tower and see the view on t06650. You'd have been able to see all around including the steelworks in the Don Valley. Not heard of any haunted tales.

The pictures on Picture Sheffield (see my previous post) are really good if you click on them to increase size and then click on zoom to make them bigger still.

Thank you for your kind comments Brian, your welcome.

Peter.

-----------

Hiya Again Peter, Yes i did bring the pictures up on full zoom great

details. Got some great pics to show you shortly and some to put on

Firth Browns aswell, but one of intrest to me and maybe to others.:|

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6107617468208797905

Hi Peter R, Here we are regarding the two shops on Upwell St, a tram seen here at the junction of

Upwell St and Wensley St 1957 bound for Sheffield Lane Top.

Motorbike at the back of the tram, the newsagent and tobacconist on the left is very reminiscent of the era

with its multiplicity of adverts outside.

In the distance, to the left of the advert for Walls Ice Cream, the bottom shop is where i use to buy

my sweets which i mentioned to you Peter. Brian

Edited by brian1941
Wording

-----------

I look forward to those Brian.

Hi brian1941 - The woman you mentioned was my mothers Aunt Nance, her husband was named Albert, have forgotten his surname, her brother lived two doors down his name was Ernest Callum, so she would have had that name before marriage. But you are spot on with who lived where and when.

---------- Post added 22-01-2015 at 16:01 ----------

Hi Jean J - I know Eric and Shirley really well and still keep in touch once in awhile, Shirley had a brother Bob who sadly is not with us anymore.

---------------

Hi Fleetwood, Thanks for the name, i asked my sister if it was

Nancy Callum she wasn't sure and that name came to me.

Can you remember a Mrs Smith that lived on the corner house right at

the bottom of the botham St on right as you walk down, Nancy use to

visit it her as they were very good friends. :| Brian

---------------

Hi Fleetwood, Thanks for the name, i asked my sister if it was

Nancy Callum she wasn't sure and that name came to me.

Can you remember a Mrs Smith that lived on the corner house right at

the bottom of the botham St on right as you walk down, Nancy use to

visit it her as they were very good friends. :| Brian

Hi Brian1941 - I vaguely remember the Mrs Smith, I'm sure my mothers aunt was christened Nancy but it was always Aunt Nance to my mother.

Great photo of tram, the newsagents showing was owned by old Mrs Robinson which I mentioned to Fleetwood on an earlier post. Jean J

-----------

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6107617468208797905

Hi Peter R, Here we are regarding the two shops on Upwell St, a tram seen here at the junction of

Upwell St and Wensley St 1957 bound for Sheffield Lane Top.

Motorbike at the back of the tram, the newsagent and tobacconist on the left is very reminiscent of the era

with its multiplicity of adverts outside.

In the distance, to the left of the advert for Walls Ice Cream, the bottom shop is where i use to buy

my sweets which i mentioned to you Peter. Brian

Hi Brian,

Nice pic. and so much of interest as you say. I could well have been waiting at Owler Lane school to board that tram! I had moved from Adsetts Street to Shiregreen Flower Estate in 1957 but stayed at Owler Lane Secondary as I only had a year to go. I used to alight at Firth Park and walk up Bellhouse Road to home.

Still used the tram when I started work in 1959 at Firth Browns on Saville Street until the buses took over. After that when I was 16 I had my own two wheeled transport and used to park it under the railway arches off Norroy Street/Corby Street.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

Nice pic. and so much of interest as you say. I could well have been waiting at Owler Lane school to board that tram! I had moved from Adsetts Street to Shiregreen Flower Estate in 1957 but stayed at Owler Lane Secondary as I only had a year to go. I used to alight at Firth Park and walk up Bellhouse Road to home.

Still used the tram when I started work in 1959 at Firth Browns on Saville Street until the buses took over. After that when I was 16 I had my own two wheeled transport and used to park it under the railway arches off Norroy Street/Corby Street.

Peter.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6108306563972642993

Hi Peter R, Jean J seems to know lots of people around Wensly St Area,

loverly memories i say. I enclose another pic.

At the junction of Upwell St and Carlisle St East, Two trams pass by British

Railways Upwell St, on the corner are young lads running across the street playing the trams no heed - at the same time it were just an ordinary

part of life. That was a time when smoking was just an accepted way

of life, the shops on the left are advertising no fewer than six different

brands of cigarettes - Park Drive, Senior Service, Capstan , Players,

Robin and Turf. :hihi: Brian

Hi Brian, brilliant photo.

--------------

Hello George, So glad your looking in on the thread, bet you feel

at home with these loverly memories around you and where you live.

Thanks for your feedback.

Have been putting picture on anyone worked at Firth Browns thread,

might be some of intrest for you.

-----------

Just as a matter of intrest on that picture on Page16- No301

with tram on Upwell St, on the advert of Walls Ice Cream what was

that black building behind. I only remember spare ground there and

Trustwell use to park its lorries.

Thanks again George. Brian. :|

Hi Brian, I think it was Cottams yard at the back of ice cream sign. I went to Owler Lane infants, Grimesthorpe, & Owler Lane secondary schools, I lived on Botham st my grandma lived on Upwell Hill then we moved to live on Upwell Hill, when I was 18 I worked behind the bar at the Beehive, so up to getting married I spent a lot of time a round Grimesthorpe. Jean J

Hi Brian, I think it was Cottams yard at the back of ice cream sign. I went to Owler Lane infants, Grimesthorpe, & Owler Lane secondary schools, I lived on Botham st my grandma lived on Upwell Hill then we moved to live on Upwell Hill, when I was 18 I worked behind the bar at the Beehive, so up to getting married I spent a lot of time a round Grimesthorpe. Jean J

Hi Jean and Brian,

I thought Truswells used to park behind the houses on Wensley Street and Upwell Street through an entrance off Wensley Street. Maybe they parked on where Cottam's were but after my time?? The building you mention Brian seems to be two attached units accessed from the roadside of Colver's Yard at the back of Cottam's yard. (I'm presuming all the houses were called Colver's Yard) :huh:

For Cottam's and Colver's Yard, type in s20157 and then s20159 after clicking on this....http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk

Peter.

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 17:28 ----------

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 17:31 ----------

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6108306563972642993

Hi Peter R, Jean J seems to know lots of people around Wensly St Area,

loverly memories i say. I enclose another pic.

At the junction of Upwell St and Carlisle St East, Two trams pass by British

Railways Upwell St, on the corner are young lads running across the street playing the trams no heed - at the same time it were just an ordinary

part of life. That was a time when smoking was just an accepted way

of life, the shops on the left are advertising no fewer than six different

brands of cigarettes - Park Drive, Senior Service, Capstan , Players,

Robin and Turf. :hihi: Brian

Thanks for another nice pic Brian.

Edited by PeterR

---------------

Hello Jean J, I was only curious on what the buildings were there but i'am no wiser, when i came to live in Grimesthorpe 1954/5 that area was flatten near the sweet shop as i said i remember Trustwell lorries on that patch.

Further along were cottages and a friend of mine lived in one Mrs Edna

Mitchell if you knew of her.

Just a point to make on the Beehive Pub, me and my mates use to call

in when we did a pub crawl on Saturday nights.

And you'll remember in the concert room they had talent singing, and the

beer was great- John Smiths i believe? Brian

---------- Post added 28-01-2015 at 16:24 ----------

Hi Jean and Brian,

I thought Truswells used to park behind the houses on Wensley Street and Upwell Street through an entrance off Wensley Street. Maybe they parked on where Cottam's were but after my time?? The building you mention Brian seems to be two attached units accessed from the roadside of Colver's Yard at the back of Cottam's yard. (I'm presuming all the houses were called Colver's Yard) :huh:

For Cottam's and Colver's Yard, type in s20157 and then s20159 after clicking on this....http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk

Peter.

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 17:28 ----------

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 17:31 ----------

Thanks for another nice pic Brian.

--------------

Thanks for the two pics Peter, i like the s20159 best . and them old

creaky lorries loved having rides in them. Them black building i was on

about with the slant roof and others around i just wondered what

they were :huh: Brian :|