Anyone go to the Gregg School in Broomhill 1952/1955?

Was there from 54 to 59. Other teachers remembered: Mr Humphreys, Mrs Humphreys, George Midgley (sports and p/e), Mrs Wostenholme, Maurice Barlow, Mr Fuchs, Mr Shanks. And who could forget Mrs Arnold with a hairstyle that looked to me like a well permed haystack? If memory serves it got into trouble with the Bank/Inland Revenue and Arnold had to leave. Messrs Sutherland and Rankin had a go at keeping it going, but it went under in the late 60s.

I was there 54 to 59 must be in the same class. I wish I knew who has put these comments on.

Male,female, Christine H, Irene C, David B, Avril W, Malcolm B, Roger S and many more.

---------- Post added 26-01-2015 at 21:04 ----------

I was at gregg between 53&58,i remember a lot of the names mentioned especially avril wright who i played tennis with at stocksbridge also granville dyson and a girl called barbara, cannot remember her surname,who i last saw in 63.I also played against hull i was in goal.does anybody remember the school trip to middelkerk in belgium.I remember mr.rankin quite well we clashed a few times but i was still invited to his house cannot remember where

I Pete, I'm Averil and played tennis at Stockbridge for many years. I wonder why people are not giving their names on this forum. I would love to contact some who were in the same class as myself. I went to Middlekirk and I think Granville also went. I remember cycling and going the wrong way round a roundabout and having a good laugh about it although it could have been disastrous .

I went there in early 60s horrible place. Arnold was Head Teacher, looked like a smoked kipper due to smoking 1000 fags a day, psycho named Sutherland, and ladeez man named Rankin, what a bunch.

They were like the Lavender Hill Mob.

My parents had the good sense to move me to a secondary modern. Loved it, did well.

I left 59 and enjoyed my time there. I'm not saying I was a good scholar, far from it. Maybe it all went further downhill after that. The older members of the forum seem to have abandoned it. Hope they return to add some more comments. I am in contact with one of my class mates from being on here and would love to contact others.

I went there in early 60s horrible place. Arnold was Head Teacher, looked like a smoked kipper due to smoking 1000 fags a day, psycho named Sutherland, and ladeez man named Rankin, what a bunch.

They were like the Lavender Hill Mob.

My parents had the good sense to move me to a secondary modern. Loved it, did well.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:,.,Do you remember Shanks? Or was he gone by the time you started there?

---------- Post added 13-02-2015 at 06:19 ----------

Anyone who was there 1952-55 remember or know what happened to a girl named Patricia Nisbet or Nesbit? She was in Sutherland's RSA class

:hihi::hihi::hihi:,.,Do you remember Shanks? Or was he gone by the time you started there?

---------- Post added 13-02-2015 at 06:19 ----------

Anyone who was there 1952-55 remember or know what happened to a girl named Patricia Nisbet or Nesbit? She was in Sutherland's RSA class

I remember Arnold,Sutherland, Rankin, Midgley a sports teacher comes to mind and a German/Austrian with the personality of a dead sheep.

I had a year in a secondary modern, was shipped here by parents hoping to gentrify me, had the most miserable year of my life and then was returned to the secondary school. Including juniors that made it eight schools in all.

At 15 I could barely read, was completely anti social and in fact a nightmare. Thank god for work, working with men and women with experience of the real world, who although they took no nonsense, taught me the real things in life punctuality, cleanliness, how to get on with workmates. An old warehouseman called Ernest got me reading history, I owe them everything and the education system very little.

Hi Alan Ladd - it's very interesting to read your post. I wasn't far away from the Gregg School at King Ted's. Although from a poor background (see here for example - I'm the littlest one in the photo) I surprised everyone by passing my 11-plus. I hated King Edward's when I was there, but looking back I'm glad I went there. As they say "there's more than one way to skin a cat" and the important thing is to be happy with your lot. I can claim this much, as I imagine you can also..:)

Hi Alan Ladd - it's very interesting to read your post. I wasn't far away from the Gregg School at King Ted's. Although from a poor background (see here for example - I'm the littlest one in the photo) I surprised everyone by passing my 11-plus. I hated King Edward's when I was there, but looking back I'm glad I went there. As they say "there's more than one way to skin a cat" and the important thing is to be happy with your lot. I can claim this much, as I imagine you can also..:)

To be fair it probably was not the schools fault, I had a very disturbed home life which was at the root of the issue. Strange how those early experiences stick with you. I clearly remember things that happened then, don't ask me about some experience 10 years ago!

I remember Arnold,Sutherland, Rankin, Midgley a sports teacher comes to mind and a German/Austrian with the personality of a dead sheep.

I had a year in a secondary modern, was shipped here by parents hoping to gentrify me, had the most miserable year of my life and then was returned to the secondary school. Including juniors that made it eight schools in all.

At 15 I could barely read, was completely anti social and in fact a nightmare. Thank god for work, working with men and women with experience of the real world, who although they took no nonsense, taught me the real things in life punctuality, cleanliness, how to get on with workmates. An old warehouseman called Ernest got me reading history, I owe them everything and the education system very little.

Rankin, Sutherland, Arnold, Shanks had about as much personality and charisma as the Berlin Wall. But I did like your comparison to the Lavender Hill Mob :hihi: :hihi:

My dislike was centered on Miss Thompson, who took algebra. I think she enjoyed a previous career as a guard in Ravensbruck Concentration Camp

I was called to Dicky Arnold's office a couple of times, These days they'd issue you a haz mat outfit, the air in there being 90 percent nicotine based,

Weren't all bad though. There was the delectable Miss Sylvia Watson who always managed to get our undivided attention... from us lads anyway

---------- Post added 13-02-2015 at 21:19 ----------

Last time I visited the old place the school building had become part of the Rutland hotel across the road. The front garden was gone and it had been turned into a guest's parking lot

Edited by Harleyman

I attended Gregg from '59 to'63, and had a pretty miserable time there.

Starting in class 1' I was left to get on with it. The problem for me was that year one was halfway through, so when Rankin came to take us for Algebra

it seemed like a foreign language to me. And it was like that with other subjects, I was playing catch up.

Eventually I gave up on the Algebra, could never make head nor tail of it.

I can relate to the situation that Alan Ladd was in, this was my sixth school, also there were big problems at home.

I remember all the teachers that were there during my time there, I was

caned by Jock more than once, probably be locked up for it today.

I remember the names of some of the pupils mentioned too, I remember the day Joan Swinscoe was expelled, it all started because Jock didn't like how she was wearing her hat, so she took it off and threw it on the floor then called him some names. She never came back after that.

The last time I saw Arnold was in the Albert pub at the top of Cambridge Street, he had his usual Craven A and a drink, that was 1965.

My last day there could not come soon enough.

Was there from 54 to 59. Other teachers remembered: Mr Humphreys, Mrs Humphreys, George Midgley (sports and p/e), Mrs Wostenholme, Maurice Barlow, Mr Fuchs, Mr Shanks. And who could forget Mrs Arnold with a hairstyle that looked to me like a well permed haystack? If memory serves it got into trouble with the Bank/Inland Revenue and Arnold had to leave. Messrs Sutherland and Rankin had a go at keeping it going, but it went under in the late 60s.

I too was there 54/59, must be same class but I transferred to commercial for the last 2 years. Were you in the same class as Christine Holland, Susan Mellor, April Anson, David White, Tony Kershaw, Roger Sherwood Malcolm Bowskill?

I attended Gregg from '59 to'63, and had a pretty miserable time there.

Starting in class 1' I was left to get on with it. The problem for me was that year one was halfway through, so when Rankin came to take us for Algebra

it seemed like a foreign language to me. And it was like that with other subjects, I was playing catch up.

Eventually I gave up on the Algebra, could never make head nor tail of it.

I can relate to the situation that Alan Ladd was in, this was my sixth school, also there were big problems at home.

I remember all the teachers that were there during my time there, I was

caned by Jock more than once, probably be locked up for it today.

I remember the names of some of the pupils mentioned too, I remember the day Joan Swinscoe was expelled, it all started because Jock didn't like how she was wearing her hat, so she took it off and threw it on the floor then called him some names. She never came back after that.

The last time I saw Arnold was in the Albert pub at the top of Cambridge Street, he had his usual Craven A and a drink, that was 1965.

My last day there could not come soon enough.

I never really understood the idea behind the place, did the kids who stayed the course do better than those of us who ended up in bog standard secondary moderns? Personally, and remember my memories are colored by strange happenings at home, I was so happy to leave the place, it seemed so false. I understand it eventually went bust so maybe it was a con?