My dad was a POW in Japan

Can anyone tell me when it is VJ Day please?

The Allies celebrated victory over Japan on 15th August 1945, although the Japanese administration under General Koiso Kuniaki did not officially surrender with a signed document until 2nd September.

Both dates are known as VJ Day.

From...

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/VJ-Day/

You're on the Internet. You have the largest encyclopaedia in the world at your fingertips.

August 15th.

The day always reminds me of my old mate Albert Biney ,Sheffield boxer and gentle man ,The japs beat him up and starved him while he was a prisoner of war, not one of em was half the man Albert Biney was.

Though I abhor what the Japanese did I don't blindly write them all off as 'half men' nor do I class them as cowards.

Like it or not, anyone prepared to fly a bomb to its destruction, is a brave man.

Albert Biney I don't doubt was a brave man. He was not alone and it wasn't one sided.

Though I abhor what the Japanese did I don't blindly write them all off as 'half men' nor do I class them as cowards.

Like it or not, anyone prepared to fly a bomb to its destruction, is a brave man.

Albert Biney I don't doubt was a brave man. He was not alone and it wasn't one sided.

I have heard Alberts story while he was a prisoner of war under the Japs ,I also witnessed the damage done to his body that caused him so much pain in later years.

He was alone in the fact that no Japanese where treated in that way if taken prisoner .

I met a charming gentleman and gentle man many years ago who had only one eye.

He told me that he a was POW in Japan and was, one day, not keeping up whilst being made to march with his comrades - a Japanese soldier bayoneted him in the eye. He very nearly died from the infection he got in the wound but lived to tell the tale and lived to see his grandchildren.

In the 1960s I worked with a colleague at the NCB Pensions and Insurance branch at Rutland Park and St James' House. Pre war he had married a Spanish countess with means and they subsequently bought and operated plantations out in the Philippines. In 1941 the Japanese began their invasion of the islands and both he and his wife lost everything and were taken prisoner. His first hand experience, which he related to me, resulted in him swearing to never buy anything made in Japan and he never did. I've always thought that says it all.

echo.

I have heard Alberts story while he was a prisoner of war under the Japs ,I also witnessed the damage done to his body that caused him so much pain in later years.

He was alone in the fact that no Japanese where treated in that way if taken prisoner .

Respectfully, re-consider what you say.

Atrocities were committed in war.

The taking of prisoners means the captured men were not killed.

However, not every soldier became a POW. Soldiers were murdered in cold blood when captured and such acts were committed by our own finest.

Reality check.

Respectfully, re-consider what you say.

Atrocities were committed in war.

The taking of prisoners means the captured men were not killed.

However, not every soldier became a POW. Soldiers were murdered in cold blood when captured and such acts were committed by our own finest.

Reality check.

Although it is widely accepted that there was atrocities on both side ( all's fair in love and war ) the Japanese was considered to have committed more atrocities than anybody els, thats including the nazi's

regarding this comment

they was the same as the suicide bombers of today totally brainwashed .

my apologise for going slightly off topic:thumbsup:

Edited by kidley

My father was in The Far East, during the second world war. Although he was not a prisoner of war he did not have a very good time.

He had to listen to some of the statements made by British Prisoners of War who had been in Japanese' prisons. My dad use to say there was some good German soldiers but there was no good Japanese soldiers.