Best places for young professionals to live

Hello! First post here... I realise that there have been threads on this before but they're all a few years back.

I live in S25 but I am looking to rent closer to the city centre as I'm working in S1. I've just graduated from university so I'm looking for somewhere fairly lively but not too studenty, and want to avoid anywhere very quiet and family-orientated. A good pub, corner shop and easy to get to the centre of town is ideal (if I could walk to work that would be even better).

I know they've regenerated a few areas up recently, e.g. St Pauls, Rockingham Street area, are these any good?

Cheers! :)

You can't beat Eccelsall Road, Nether Edge area really.

Don't actually live on Eccelsall Road tho as it's pretty noisy, but alot of the streets off it are fine.

The lively areas with the most useful amenities ARE the studenty areas. Students generate services. So that's the Walkley/Crookes/Broomhill/Hunters Bar lump of the city.

If you want liveliness but not so studenty then Hillsborough/Lower Walkley or London Rd/Abbeydale Rd/Nether Edge/Woodseats/Meersbrook etc.

London Road is very lively and you can walk to work from there.

I went for Lower Walkley with my girlfriend (now wife) as young graduates. Seemed to work quite well, just outside the student area, close to shops, good transport to town, but you get more house for your money than S1.

The Abbeydale Road/Meersbrook area is a great compromise between being close to the city centre, in a nice and extremely up and coming area and close to restaurants, bars and shops with lovely open spaces in the form of Meersbrook Park. That side of town is really on the up and is increasingly popular with young professionals and young families.

A nice alternative to the usual answer of Crookes/Broomhill/Hunter's Bar which are extremely student-heavy rather than/as well as young professional-heavy, if that makes sense.

I always feel that Woodseats and Hillsborough aren't quite as nice as they should be and can feel pretty rough at times, particularly on evenings and weekends when the drinkers come out. Just my opinion though.

Edited by amazon123

^^ agree with most of the following, but people need to stop spreading the word about the city best kept secret!! (meersbrook) ^^

btw, think crookes/walkley is becoming more and more popular with professionals, as students arent moving into the area anymore. they prefer the student flats that are popping up all over the city.

You cant go wrong with Eckington, lots of house for your money :)

^^ agree with most of the following, but people need to stop spreading the word about the city best kept secret!! (meersbrook) ^^

btw, think crookes/walkley is becoming more and more popular with professionals, as students arent moving into the area anymore. they prefer the student flats that are popping up all over the city.

I agree with this ^^ :D

A few years ago Crookes seemed almost entirely student orientated. I think other than School Road and Western Rd, it's not the case anymore. Like you say, the number of dedicated student flats now springing up is a better option for many.

These places are well marketed, and instead of houses where [sometimes] people have to do things for themselves, like set up internet, pay bills etc. is being outed by ALL-IN packages that these blocks offer. They're probably more popular with parents paying for them too, because they know they'll have everything they need, and security is pretty good.

The term "young professional" is such a snobby term!!

Why is it?

I agree with this ^^ :D

A few years ago Crookes seemed almost entirely student orientated. I think other than School Road and Western Rd, it's not the case anymore. Like you say, the number of dedicated student flats now springing up is a better option for many.

I wonder if there is a link between this and (at least as far as I can tell) slightly lower house prices in the Crookes area than you might expect given the general upward trend locally and nationally. There are quite a few three bed terraces coming on in that area around the 150k mark which wouldn't have happened previously. Perhaps the slackened student market has allowed this.

It is an ironic term. So professional, are the professionals, many of them occupy bedsits and flat shares, or perhaps it is just the marketing of deluded landlords, that gives such an impression.

Surely a professional would have a decent home in a decent area, rather than try to sell the idea of a working class area with working class homes of minimum standards being 'up and coming' or 'more popular with the middle claaaaas' etc.