Advice for getting noticed

I set up a small craft/personalisation business in 2015 whilst I was pregnant but I have only recently started promoting it.

I make a variety of items (soft toys to home décor) which can be personalised.

I am really struggling to promote my business and get my name out there without it costing the earth. I have a facebook page, a blog and a website (website is a WIP).

Can anyone offer any further advice on promoting my work e.g. any local support groups.

Thanks

If you are based in the Sheffield City Region, then contact the SCR Growth Hub.

Good luck with your business.

I set up a small craft/personalisation business in 2015 whilst I was pregnant but I have only recently started promoting it.

I am really struggling to promote my business and get my name out there without it costing the earth. I have a facebook page, a blog and a website (website is a WIP).

Can anyone offer any further advice on promoting my work e.g. any local support groups.

Thanks

This might help http://www.parentpreneurnetworking.co.uk/index.html

Get some business cards printed and drop them in to local shops like hairdressers. Vistaprint do 500 cards for £5.99

It depends what part of the craft / hand made market you are entering. I am a crafter but just as a hobby for myself, not as a business. I do like to buy quality products and would be put off by cheap business card from vista print. They are fine if you intend to sell at the budget end of the market.

A friend of ours personalises clothing and mugs by printing sayings or phrases. He tried it out by putting a few listings on ebay and it really took off. This might not work so well if you are aiming at the luxury end of the market. Etsy and Not on the High Street would be better for quality goods.

There are a lot of regulations around items that are or look like toys. Are you up to speed with them?

Do you want to sell your stuff on the website? Opencart can be installed in ten minutes and there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube to get you started. There is an example of it here.

Do you have an eBay store? Also check out becoming an Amazon Merchant. You;ll then benefit on both sites from people searching for similar products

Have you done any paid advertising on facebook? That can work well and you can be specific about who your ad will target. You can boost posts for under £10 so may be worth doing a few tests see if you get any results.

Take examples of your work with contact details to nurseries and get some decent quality images

Have you tried craft fairs or local Christmas markets etc.

Hi Marie,

Get yourself to 'The Firm' networking (google it, there are plenty of locations and dates).

I have tried them all and that is by far the best and even though it seems daunting, everyone there will make you feel welcome.

Advertising on Facebook isn't a bad idea as someone suggested, using targeted ads, although steer clear of boosting posts as it has the lowest return to cost.

Thanks

We have a shop re-launch/birthday party in the shop and are inviting 5 stalls to come and set up a 1m table to come and sell and showcase their crafts. It is FREE of charge if you are interested. We also provide refreshments. All we ask is that you bear with us if it is a quiet day as we are trialling this. If you are interested please send me your email address in PM and i can get a form passes accross to you.

We are on Ecclesall Road in Sheffield