I'm Thinking Of Cancelling Sky.

Just wondered if anyone else has done it and how they found it?

I'm just fed up of paying out each month for the same old stuff. It's just repeat after repeat. Sky News is about the best thing but even that gets repetative.

I don't watch sport and if I want a movie I'll go and rent one.

I think I'm going to go back to 5 channels.

It would be ok if they came out with some new british comedy, dramas, reality tv, ect. Sky/virgin just put the same old crap on, and to be honest, most tv today isn't thought out as it should be.

Is the freesat box as good as described?..can you use it like the Sky hd box?..ie, record rewind pause etc...it gets a bit complicated for an oldie, but im getting fed up of paying for a lot of rubbish..

Just cancelled my Sky. Sky TV not very helpful - best they could offer was a new dish and box with no reduction on the bill, just 3 months free ESPN added. Other bugbear was we can't get cheap Sky broadband in our area and the cheapest they could do was £17 a month.

Bought a Humax Freesat HD box. Unplugged the sky box then plugged the new one straight in. Gets about 140 channels in Freesat mode but you can also scan the Astra satellite in non-Freesat mode for other free to air channels. That picks up another couple of hundred channels most of which is a bit niche (unless you're an avid TV shopper or like christian or muslim channels) but there are a few real gems in there.

Wish I'd done it ages ago. £44 a month saved for me and nearly £600 less a year for Murdoch. When I spoke to the lass at Sky it was heartening to hear they are absolutely snowed under with cancellation requests.

i too shall be cancelling sky if its not adverts rammed down your throat every 5 minutes,its repeating in programs.You watch the first bit 5 or 10 mins before the adverts then in part 2 they repeat what you have already seen in part 1,if you were to put a timer on a hours programming i bet its not much more than 20 mins unrepeated tv thats if you can find something you havnt seen umpteen times already :(

Even the record series starts to repeat itself........

Is the freesat box as good as described?..can you use it like the Sky hd box?..ie, record rewind pause etc...it gets a bit complicated for an oldie, but im getting fed up of paying for a lot of rubbish..

If the Freesat box you're talking about is the one in Verona's post, it's well worth having. I've been using one for 4 months and it works very well.

I had a Sky Plus box some years ago and it's nowhere near as good as the Humax.

If you record a lot of HDTV (and if you keep the recordings) the HDD will fill up fairy quickly, but provided you keep an eye on it and erase stuff when you've viewed it (or copy things you want to keep to an External USB HDD) you shouldn't have any problems.

The box is fairly easy to use and if all else fails and you're forced to refer to the manual, that too is pretty straightforward.

Forget TV and go out and meet real people

Don't cancel.

Tell them you're going to, get a few months free then stop it.

i have a question before Christmas we had all movies package,added them on line,and now want to cancel all movies,and cant do it online,can we?

been with them 14 months now and want to cancel the movies

Don't cancel.

Tell them you're going to, get a few months free then stop it.

Certainly worth a go but they didn't offer that to me. From what I read on other forums they don't automatically offer free months so beware.

i have a question before Christmas we had all movies package,added them on line,and now want to cancel all movies,and cant do it online,can we?

been with them 14 months now and want to cancel the movies

Yes you can cancel them. Just ring up and they will take them off or as upinwath says may (if the wind is blowing in the right direction) offer them discounted or free for a time.

PS3 has BBC iPlayer, ITV catch-up and 4OD

I only mention it because i hadn't updated my box in 6 months and there was only iplayer on it last time i looked, did it yesterday (to watch peep show box set :)) and itv and c4 have been added :D

Just reminded me that Humax Freesat box has iPlayer with ITV catch-up on the way. Just plug a network cable in the back of the box. Channel 901 for iPlayer, 903 for ITV player. Can't find a 4OD channel on there yet.

Forget TV and go out and meet real people

No, don't recommend that as you might bump into this muppet :loopy::hihi: