Eccy road pub crawl - ?

Not been on there in a year or two. Which pubs should I make sure I visit, and needs to include places to keep the OH happy (not full of blokes). Advice appreciated!

Not been on there in a year or two. Which pubs should I make sure I visit, and needs to include places to keep the OH happy (not full of blokes). Advice appreciated!

It's quite possible to do quite a varied crawl down Eccy Rd these days.

Start at the Beer House - it actually does a decent gin range as well as beer. Porter Brook - quite a nice pub , if you can cope with Greene King tripe. Maybe have a walk around to the Porter Cottage or Lescar if you want something different.

Call in Craft and Dough - you'll get the impression they just want you to eat, but you can just stop for drinks there - though they will still want to seat you and give you table service. Pop up the road to the Cowshed (new name for Graze bar) - it's a bit funkier now and still serves decent beer. Then across the road to the Portland if you want to round off with a fair old real ale.

I wouldn't go in the Nursery - Botanical closed ages ago and I would probably avoid Champs unless she's a sports fan. So that makes it quite a long hike back up to Spoons. If you do want any more you could always make the (rather brave) walk up Frog Lane to the Stag instead. Then down to either the Broadfield or the Beer Engine. But make sure it isn't going to rain.

Cheers. Will start at other end but suggestions sound good. We have to go to Menzel`s apparently....

Cheers. Will start at other end but suggestions sound good. We have to go to Menzel`s apparently....

Might be worth checking if its open, last time I went past (about a week ago) it was being refurbished

Menzals will not be open for a least a good few weeks

Its being totally gutted out and has been bought out, so not sure it will be back as "Menzels"

Depends on what you want from a night out.

If your Mrs liked Menzels I'd say start; Prince of Wales, Banner Cross, Bistro Pierre then either onto Sharrowvale for Lescar and Porter Cottage or straight down Eccy Road to the micro pub (name escapes me but near Spar), then Porter Brook and then Monk, Nonna's and Pointing Dog. I personally would do it backwards and avoid Nonna's and Pointing Dog and then head to Greystones for last orders but then again I'm dull!

Did a good "bus" crawl the other day.

Get a day pass and get on the 83 to the Hammer at bents green.

Then get same bus to the Greystones,then walk/bus to the Porter brooke ,Porter cottage and Lescar.Then finish at spoons at the bottom.

Did a good "bus" crawl the other day.

Get a day pass and get on the 83 to the Hammer at bents green.

Then get same bus to the Greystones,then walk/bus to the Porter brooke ,Porter cottage and Lescar.Then finish at spoons at the bottom.

That sounds like a good crawl - tho I've never been to the Hammer, what's it like? My crawls of that nature usually start at the Banner Cross.

My crawls of that nature usually start at the Banner Cross.

Not worth bothering with now IMO.

Definitely start at The Beer House. Maybe onto Sharrow Vale Road to The Lescar, back onto Eccy Road for The Portland House (Wellbeck Abbey's pub) maybe the Sheaf Island then finish at The Beer Engine round the back of Waitrose.

That sounds like a good crawl - tho I've never been to the Hammer, what's it like? My crawls of that nature usually start at the Banner Cross.

Its a decent pub particularly on a nice day with lots of seating outside.

The main bar maintains its traditional pub feel rather than being a food dominated area.

They do have plenty of screens with sport which may not be everyones cup of tea,service is always really good too.