Laptop or pc? Which would you recommend ?

We have 2 laptops in the house, mine is about 6yrs old, kids a compaque, but I would like a good powerful computer with i5 processor and decent storage, can up get a powerful laptop as good as a Pc? Any advice ?

More for your money spec wise if you was to get a tower, laptop cost more, but if moneys no issue laptops these days will easily accomodate the specs your after.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you're going to use it for some word processing, Internet surfing, listening to music and watching YouTube then get a laptop. However if you're a serious gamer and like the ability to be able to upgrade your system in the future then get a desktop.

Hi, to use for some photo editing, homework, want Microsoft office , student work, thx for your reply, do u know much about the lenovo brand, as ive got a hp pavilion laptop, im not sure about lenovo?

If it's just basic Photo Editing I'd suggest a Chromebook, cheap as chips and as all applications are moving into the cloud (Office 365, Outlook.com) the device just becomes a dumb terminal and most of the computing is done by the servers. I've had one for years and haven't found anything I can't do with it yet.

Also, as a bonus. If you lose of break it then you just pick up another one, log in and ta-da! It's just like it was yesterday.

you can get a powerfull laptop but you would be looking at £1000.00 plus,but then you would be restricted to upgrading ie memory and hdd.

not sure which way you are heading, parting my decision making was having a fixed base for a machine. And a reluctance to use the cloud as some of my stuff is client confidential. We have cheap i3 laptop and tablet but for "proper" work on PC we, as a family, use a desktop with 2 cheap monitors

just upgraded to a cheap and pretty decent desktop machine via Dell outlet / scratch and bash - the scratch is tiny - so I am happy to have gone that route (so far - 'touch wood')

you can get a powerfull laptop but you would be looking at £1000.00 plus,but then you would be restricted to upgrading ie memory and hdd.

i looked at a grand plus and your wrong its Not true with asus ROG the one i got anyways it has been made to be upgradable

This machine is a Medion brand desktop. AMD processor, lots of RAM, and HDD space, about 4 yrs old. It came from ALDI.

I do my "heavy work" on it.

But today, at the computer club, I used a laptop that cost me $400 (200 quid?) to edit all the movies shot* taking my great-grandson to the beach and the Yandina Ginger Factory ( http://www.gingerfactory.com.au/ ) last week, demonstrating Windows "Movie Maker" to some fellow members. It did the jod quite well.

* on a GoPro

The only real reason to get a laptop is portability, be that every day or more intermittently.

If you're happy to not have a portable computer, then you get more for your money with a desktop. Simple as that.

If it's just basic Photo Editing I'd suggest a Chromebook, cheap as chips and as all applications are moving into the cloud (Office 365, Outlook.com) the device just becomes a dumb terminal and most of the computing is done by the servers. I've had one for years and haven't found anything I can't do with it yet.

Also, as a bonus. If you lose of break it then you just pick up another one, log in and ta-da! It's just like it was yesterday.

I'm with you on the Chromebook front although I tend to use my Windows laptop alongside it for email and MS Office (offline still better than online version IMO)

The performance you get for the money is superb.