Sheffield Wednesday 1960's

Did anyone go to a game (especially Sheffield Wednesday V West Brom) in December 1961.....or any Sheffield Wednesday games in the 60's. What was it like? Did they sell food? Any memories. Who were the players? Anything amusing happen? Any incidents? Would love to include in a novel I'm writing.

Cheers from a wet and rainy Australia... ha! ha! Think you are enjoying our sun!http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/images/smilies/wink.gif

My dad took me to my first game at hillsboro for a European Fairs Cup game v Ujpest Doza i think. David (Bronco) Layne scored 3. I was on the kop and about 10 years old. It was chucking it down but i remember my dad getting me a Bovril and a pie, so it was not too bad.

At 13/14 years old i started going to Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane (much to my dads disgust) with school mates and became a devout follower of the Mighty Blades. I have been a season ticket holder at the lane for longer than i care to remember but still have fond memories of going with my dad to that game in the early 60s.

Fantastic! What an amazing memory to have. How did you go when Wednesday played the Blades... Boy I wouldn't have wanted to be a your place then!

Saw them play Ajax, Barca, Olypic Ltons AS Roma Juve,Napoli, Werder Bremen, cologne, not see them again in my lifetime at Hillsbrough

... How did you go when Wednesday played the Blades... Boy I wouldn't have wanted to be a your place then!
Ah - the Boxing Day Massacre of 1979 - Wednesday 4, United 0..:)

Hillsbro...I've always loved reading your posts. Why did you go and have to mention that after all these years!

Did anyone go to a game (especially Sheffield Wednesday V West Brom) in December 1961.....or any Sheffield Wednesday games in the 60's. What was it like? Did they sell food? Any memories. Who were the players? Anything amusing happen? Any incidents? Would love to include in a novel I'm writing.

Cheers from a wet and rainy Australia... ha! ha! Think you are enjoying our sun!http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/images/smilies/wink.gif

I remember a game in the early sixties when a bloke stripped of baluko strolled onto the pitch and just as the game was about to kick of he kicked the ball towards Leppings Lane.

No one seemed very interested in stopping him until the trainer ran on and gently led him down the tunnel.

A local hospital was close by in those days and the bloke was a patient there.

It is still the funniest thing I have ever seen on a football pitch:hihi:

Hillsbro...I've always loved reading your posts. Why did you go and have to mention that after all these years!
Well, I couldn't miss an opportunity like this!.:P

My first match was March 61 against Wolves 0-0. Stood on the Leppings Lane End where my dad had been a regular for years. It was long before the stand was built there and in fact the cantilever stand on the North side was under construction.

My first impression was how green the pitch was. Totally different match day experience to today. Brass band before and at halftime. Think they must have done tea and Bovril but have no recollection of having one. Cigarette smoke in the air. Can't remember any drunken behaviour as unlike today most people went to watch the game and not to get smashed and wind up the opposing fans.

No segregation. If it was packed kids were passed over people's heads to the front.

I can remember being in a crowd of 60,000 plus not long after against Man Utd and never felt threatened by the size of the crowd though I would only have been 12.

The team would have been something like this :

Ron Springett

Peter Johnson

Don Megson

Tom McAnearney

Peter Swan

Tony Kay

Alan Finney

Bobby Craig

Keith Ellis

John Fantham

Derek Wilkinson.

It all seems a lifetime ago and of course it's over 50 years so in a way it is.

Some fabulous replies here...lots to get me writing. Not sure I understand what " when a bloke stripped of baluko " means... what's baluko... Does it mean he streaked?

Can anyone remember how much it cost to go to a football match or how much a pie cost? Any of those memories would be great. Did they wear the woollen blue and white striped scarf. What did the players wear? Did the crowd sing did they have any chants?

Loved reading about the Boxing Day Massacre of 1979. It seems though that matches were much calmer non of the aggro that goes on now. I can imagine the excitement of being passed over the heads of the crowd. Did girls go to matches or was it just the boys. I never went as a child even though I remember my dad and brother going.

Thanks everyone!

Some fabulous replies here...lots to get me writing. Not sure I understand what " when a bloke stripped of baluko " means... what's baluko... Does it mean he streaked?

Can anyone remember how much it cost to go to a football match or how much a pie cost? Any of those memories would be great. Did they wear the woollen blue and white striped scarf. What did the players wear? Did the crowd sing did they have any chants?

Loved reading about the Boxing Day Massacre of 1979. It seems though that matches were much calmer non of the aggro that goes on now. I can imagine the excitement of being passed over the heads of the crowd. Did girls go to matches or was it just the boys. I never went as a child even though I remember my dad and brother going.

Thanks everyone!

I seem to think it was 1/6 for kids and 3/- for adults in standing areas.

It was scarfs, bobble hats and wooden rattles.

Don't think there were any chants at all in the early 60s. Maybe that would be late 60s early 70s.

Definitely predominantly male support in those days.

...Can anyone remember how much it cost to go to a football match...
In the mid-1950s it cost 9d for "juveniles" to stand behind the goal or on the kop; it would have been about double for adults, perhaps 1s 6d. It naturally cost more for important matches - see here for a 1962 example.

In 1966 a seat in the South Stand for a World Cup match cost £2.2s.

There were never many police there in the 1950s - one at each corner and a couple more walking up and down.

Edited by hillsbro