Smugglers Cave Cafe,Middlewood Rd, early 1960s

Does anyone remember any of the Bikers who went in The Smugglers Cave cafe between 1960 and 1963?

Yes, a lad nicknamed "Spud". For the life of me, I can't remember his real name, but his cousin was called David Bramhall (I think!). They both lived down Hillsborough, Taplin Road way.

Yes I remember a lad called "spud",I think he had a Triumph Speed Twin.He was a pleasant chap but not an everynight regular like the rest of the bikers.Can't remember anybody called Dave though,unless he had a nickname.Come to think of it Spud bought this bike off a lad called Phil Sharman who was a regular there,I wonder if you remember him.I can't remember anyone called Susie though,if that is your real name.

Edited by speedway fan
spelling mistake

A coloured lad called brian and his mate Bill went in there and had Triumph Tiger 110s,Malcolm Allott with his Gold Star and Allan Fowler with his Royal Enfield Crusader sport also Pat Ransome she was Brians girl.

Yes I remember a lad called "spud",I think he had a Triumph Speed Twin.He was a pleasant chap but not an everynight regular like the rest of the bikers.Can't remember anybody called Dave though,unless he had a nickname.Come to think of it Spud bought this bike off a lad called Phil Sharman who was a regular there,I wonder if you remember him.I can't remember anyone called Susie though,if that is your real name.

My name is Sue, and I'm not surprised if you have no recollection of me. I started going in the Smugglers in 1962, when I was just 14. Most of the people in there were much older than me. I loved the pinball machines. I palled about with a girl 2 years older than me who went to Marlcliffe. I went in there a few times a week til early '64. Also was a regular at the Speedway.

I remember a lad called Colin; someone whose nickname was "Bunny" (I think he may have had a motor cycle accident?). I went out with someone called Douglas Lightening aka "Flash" (lived on Park View Road and didn't go much to to the Smugglers) for quite a while in '63/'64. I first got together with him at Club 60 in Shalesmoor.

It's a very long time ago now, and very tame and unsophisticated compared to the social life youngsters have these days, but a lot safer in terms of potential for sexual abuse and getting into drugs.

Spud. Ian Wood. Still lives in Stannington. Bike was a Tiger 100 after a Bond scooter. Regards Tony

shinysheff, thanks for supplying "Spud's" real name; I knew it was something that rhymed, but just could not bring it to mind, even though I can still recall him quite clearly.

bullerboY, No, not Richard, but Doug, as I stated.

Richard is Doug's elder brother. They also had a sister, Margaret, married to Tony.

shinysheff, thanks for supplying "Spud's" real name; I knew it was something that rhymed, but just could not bring it to mind, even though I can still recall him quite clearly.

bullerboY, No, not Richard, but Doug, as I stated.

Richard is Doug's elder brother. They also had a sister, Margaret, married to Tony.

Dick is still around up Walkley,Tony is an old mate of mine ,Margaret was a stunner pity she went before her time.

Susie1

I went around the same time as you to the smugglers plus the speedway plus club 60 most saturdays. I was born in 45 so a bit older than you.

Bunny was a pal of the "infamous" Keith Littlewood" who would fight anyone.

I don't think he had a bike accident i think he was born with the limp etc.

Margaret was a lovely girl as Bullerboy said. Douglas died in a road accident many years ago now.

Susie1

I went around the same time as you to the smugglers plus the speedway plus club 60 most saturdays. I was born in 45 so a bit older than you.

Bunny was a pal of the "infamous" Keith Littlewood" who would fight anyone.

I don't think he had a bike accident i think he was born with the limp etc.

Did you also go to the Lomas Hall on Friday nights, Memo Tuesdays, Park Cinema Sundays?

Can anyone remember what the proprietors of the Smugglers' were called? The man had dark-rimmed glasses and was quite a big chap (Fred? Ex army?) and his wife had shoulder-length blonde hair. It was the only place I have ever drunk coffee regularly, remember the Pyrex-type glass cups and saucers?

Hillgirl, yes, I heard many years ago that Douglas had died; so very, very sad, and a big shock, it really upset me, because he was my first serious boyfriend. About 25 + years ago, quite by chance, at a children's "do" at Bramall Lane, a friend's daughter came with a friend who, I was told, was Lucy Lightning, Douglas's daughter.

Edited by susie1
Punctuation and syntax