A Rare Bird Sighting in Sheffield.

For those bird spotters that might be interested ,my wife and I spotted a flock of Waxwings in a berry laden Hawthorne hedge near to my garden in Sheffield,yesterday. A rare sight and I was able to get a few photos at 10x zoom but quite recognisable. Having had an interest in bird spotting for many years ,I must say this is one of my most interesting sightings.

Seen them in handsworth on the trees near the furnture unit before (dad pointed them out as he is a keen bird watcher too) There is some website he uses to write what he's seen and others have said they saw the waxwings near there too.

They usually come into our garden in February or March - perhaps that's on the way back from wherever they're headed now.... We've had over 100 of them twittering away and they are a very impressive sight.

I thought this thread was going to be about the lack of female talent in Sheffield :heyhey:

I thought this thread was going to be about the lack of female talent in Sheffield :heyhey:

idiot :loopy:

These were taken recently in Hillsborough. Not by me unfortunately as some of us have to work.:(

Waxwings

Apparently there are quite a few around this year as I saw on the weather report last night that so far we've had the coldest December since 1977.

They are stunning looking birds.I've only seen them once and that was in a relatives

garden in East Yorkshire about 8 years ago.They seem quiet placid and allow you get

close up.

We usually get a lot of them around Charnock at the beginning of the year, cleaning out the trees of berrys. Had a lot of bird watchers on our road last time.

Not that rare in fact, they come over from Scandinavia most winters but move around a lot, a bit like Fieldfares do.

They were once considered to be an omen of a hard winter to come but have been regular visitors in even the mildest winters.

For those bird spotters that might be interested ,my wife and I spotted a flock of Waxwings in a berry laden Hawthorne hedge near to my garden in Sheffield,yesterday. A rare sight and I was able to get a few photos at 10x zoom but quite recognisable. Having had an interest in bird spotting for many years ,I must say this is one of my most interesting sightings.

Whereabouts are you?

There are a lot of waxwings in the area this year - Crosspool and Millhouses are just a couple of the areas they frequent. They are stunning birds. For anyone who's really interested in the comings and goings of birds & where you might see something unusual you can go to the Sheffield Bird Study Group Page

http://www.sbsg.org/

and click on "recent news"

Whereabouts are you?

Gleadless,not far from "astrasri" on Charnock. We have had Fieldfares and Redwings after the same berries,but a year or two ago. Occasionally we get herons after our pond fish. My wife saw one, two or three days ago.