The best tablet to buy?

I love my tablet and rarely go on my laptop now. However it's playing up a bit as the charger doesn't always charge it up. As it was bought from Tescos I would like to go nearer to home this time in case of repairs so I will try Curry's next time. So can anyone advise me of a good tablet or IPad to buy ? Maybe one of those with the little separate keyboard would be better. Any advice please ?

I have a small Windows hybrid device and an iPad. In tablet mode I prefer the iPad - seems easier to use. However, the hybrid is more functional because of the detachable keyboard, USB port and the fact that it runs the full version of Windows 10. Some of them have only 2gb ram so probably best not to run too many programmes at once.

The Microsoft Surface Pro is a hybrid that gets excellent reviews but is expensive and AFAIK the smallest screen size is larger than the iPad so might not be so easy to hold.

I recently upgraded to an iPad Air 2 (bought online from the Apple refurbished shop) and I really like it so would recommend, particularly as it saves money. l use it a lot so it's been a good buy. Our old iPad2 is still going strong after a lot of use and is nearly 4 years old (bought from John Lewis) - it has been flawless. A Bluetooth keyboard can be added to an iPad Air 2.

You have to decide what's best for your particular use but check out the weight of the hybrids as they might be heavier than the iPad. My laptop is also a hybrid but works by flipping the screen back so the user still has the weight of the keyboard. I hardly ever use it in tablet mode as it is too bulky and heavy. Would therefore recommend detachable screen in view of the fact that you like to use a tablet.

Edited by Jomie

Be careful buying a used iPad; you'll see a lot on the market at the moment, as old ones such as the iPad 2 and 3 don't support the latest version of iOS and will trickle into obseletion.

The same issue applies to old Android tablets too, but bear in mind a used iPad can be the same price as a brand new Android tablet.

I bought a Samsung Tab S2 a few months ago as a replacement for a slowing iPad2. After a couple of months use, I returned it & exchanged for an iPad Air 2 costing almost £100 more.

The Samsung tablet was an awesome bit of hardware - light, superb screen, VERY fast and expandable memory, but I found I was constantly bothered by "do you want to enable this?" "Do you want to tell us that?" "We want permission to...." every time I opened as app. Android is obsessed with asking you for the same permissions over & over until you give the answer they want. Apple just give a great user experience & if I've got to pay a bit more for that, well that's fine.

Ironically when I bought my original iPad 2 I went into PC world to buy a Samsung & came out with an iPad - they were worlds apart. Samsung have nailed the hardware but its Android that lets it down. If you want to spend your life denying your tablets repeating permission requests then Samsung is for you. If you're planning on doing something with your tablet, pay up & go Apple

Hope this helps.

Ironically, we did the same thing when we bought our first tablet i.e. went into John Lewis to buy a Samsung and came out with an iPad 2. Used to find it frustrating for quite some time but now I like the iPad and get a lot of use out of it so that's why I bought the Air 2. It came boxed, sealed and just as new with a 12 month warranty. The laptop is needed for productivity but the iPad is for fun and entertainment - watching tv, listening to music, reading etc etc.

Is it the Tesco Hudle ?

If thats the only thing wrong with it a new charging port can be bought for less than a fiver off ebay and its fairly simple to fit ;)

Yes it is the Tesco Hudle.This is the second charging port as the first one was changed under the guarantee.They seem to work loose after a while so could do with a standby tablet.

---------- Post added 25-09-2016 at 00:19 ----------

I bought a Samsung Tab S2 a few months ago as a replacement for a slowing iPad2. After a couple of months use, I returned it & exchanged for an iPad Air 2 costing almost £100 more.

The Samsung tablet was an awesome bit of hardware - light, superb screen, VERY fast and expandable memory, but I found I was constantly bothered by "do you want to enable this?" "Do you want to tell us that?" "We want permission to...." every time I opened as app. Android is obsessed with asking you for the same permissions over & over until you give the answer they want. Apple just give a great user experience & if I've got to pay a bit more for that, well that's fine.

Ironically when I bought my original iPad 2 I went into PC world to buy a Samsung & came out with an iPad - they were worlds apart. Samsung have nailed the hardware but its Android that lets it down. If you want to spend your life denying your tablets repeating permission requests then Samsung is for you. If you're planning on doing something with your tablet, pay up & go Apple

Hope this helps.

Thanks this reply is very helpful. Looks like I will go for the Apple.

---------- Post added 25-09-2016 at 00:21 ----------

Ironically, we did the same thing when we bought our first tablet i.e. went into John Lewis to buy a Samsung and came out with an iPad 2. Used to find it frustrating for quite some time but now I like the iPad and get a lot of use out of it so that's why I bought the Air 2. It came boxed, sealed and just as new with a 12 month warranty. The laptop is needed for productivity but the iPad is for fun and entertainment - watching tv, listening to music, reading etc etc.

Think I will choose John Lewis instead of Curry's.

Refurbished gets the same warranties as standard Apple products (typing this on a refurbished iMac). Definitely buy from John Lewis or direct from Apple though, you get extended warranty compared to others. If you have an educational job or are a student you get a discount at Apple which tips things in their favour (just bring your staff-card/proof of employment at an educational facility).

Refurbished gets the same warranties as standard Apple products (typing this on a refurbished iMac). Definitely buy from John Lewis or direct from Apple though, you get extended warranty compared to others. If you have an educational job or are a student you get a discount at Apple which tips things in their favour (just bring your staff-card/proof of employment at an educational facility).

Looks like it will be an iPad from John Lewis for me.

John Lewis usually offer a two year warranty. However, you will obviously pay more for an iPad than if you bought from Apple refurb shop. I saved about £50 on the iPad Air 2. As I mentioned, they look exactly as if they are new - all sealed etc and yes, there is the full one year warranty. One year warranty is OK as iPads are so reliable anyway.

John Lewis usually offer a two year warranty. However, you will obviously pay more for an iPad than if you bought from Apple refurb shop. I saved about £50 on the iPad Air 2. As I mentioned, they look exactly as if they are new - all sealed etc and yes, there is the full one year warranty. One year warranty is OK as iPads are so reliable anyway.

Thanks for your advice .:)