Notre Dame High School in the 50s

I attended Notre Dame High School in the 1950s. Some of my classmates were : Dianne Fisher, Angela Bailey and Andrea Wright.

Can anyone remember the name of the Art teacher at this time? Was it Mrs Caley? I think the English teacher was Mrs Linstead?

I also attended Notre Dame from 1954 to 1959 - in the same class as Dianne, Angela and Andrea.

Somewhere, in the deep, dark recesses of our attic, I have an exercise book the cover of which was signed by, more or less, everyone in Form 5 in 1959.

Well STUNMON, it appears that you and I are the only two pupils from the 1950's that use this Forum......

It really doesn't seem THAT long since I left school.

I attended from 1947-52, the art teacher was Mrs Hickey, her husband was killed in the war.

hazel

Thanks to you both!! Yes of course it was Mrs Hickey. Remember her as dark hair and pretty. Do you remember the rather large Mrs Chappelle?

Well STUNMON, it appears that you and I are the only two pupils from the 1950's that use this Forum......

It really doesn't seem THAT long since I left school.

Two of my mates attended Notre Dame in the 50's. Kevin Meehan later to join the Royal Navy and Jimmy Sellars later to become a Metallurgist. Do you know them>>

Two of my mates attended Notre Dame in the 50's. Kevin Meehan later to join the Royal Navy and Jimmy Sellars later to become a Metallurgist. Do you know them>>

They didn't have BOYS there in the 50s, did they? I was there from approx 59 to 63, no such thing as boys according to Sister Monica ... well not unless they went to DeLaSalle and then they were just about OK! :D

I was at ND form 1954-59 - in the fifth form we were taken by coach to Mount St Marys (boys) School, Spinkhill to their annual dance. Happy memories :hihi:

I remember Miss Jowett who took Music, she had a terrible temper and threw boardrubbers and chalk while teaching.

hazel

They didn't have BOYS there in the 50s, did they? I was there from approx 59 to 63, no such thing as boys according to Sister Monica ... well not unless they went to DeLaSalle and then they were just about OK! :D

The only boys there when I was there, were in the prep school and seemed to be there until they were about 6-7, the girl preps stayed on as long as their parents wanted them to, or were prepared to pay for their tuition

The only boys we ever saw were on the bus going to King Edwards.

Catholic boys of scholarship age went to De La Salle

hazel

No there were no boys at Notre Dame in the 50s. We did all we could to get access to the boys at De La Salle College. The library at Notre Dame had copies of Green and Gold - the De La Salle magaazine and we would gaze with longing at the photos of football and cricket teams!

No there were no boys at Notre Dame in the 50s. We did all we could to get access to the boys at De La Salle College. The library at Notre Dame had copies of Green and Gold - the De La Salle magaazine and we would gaze with longing at the photos of football and cricket teams!

My apoligies, it was De La Salle where my mates went. Both Hillsboro' lads. Not being RC, I'm not up with the schools.