Help with photo date - H ROCK, 11 POND HILL

Hi all,

I am trying to confirm an approximate date of a photograph.

The photographer was H Rock based at 11 Pond Hill, Sheffield. Does anyone know which dates H Rock was at this address.

Someone has written on the back of the card "about 1876"

Thanks in anticipation

Henry was at this address in 1861 as a hairdresser 1871 as a photographer.

Thanks very much for the replies.

These tie in with the date I have on the back of my photo. Does anyone know when Mr Rock left these premises

26 Pond Hill 1881.

Thanks for that.

Confirms the date even more. The photograph is of Silkstone Brass Band - a village 4 miles outside Barnsley towards Penistone.

I would have expected them to be photographed by a Barnsley / Penistone photographer so it is possible that they were visited the Sheffield area to play.

They did play contests so I will need to do some more digging - but I have a window of dates to look at now.

Thanks again

---------- Post added 11-12-2016 at 13:24 ----------

I have found out that Silkstone band were one of the bands that played at the South Yorkshire Miners' Association great demonstration and procession which was held in Sheffield in 1868. They assembled at the Haymarket in Sheffield and marched via Ranmoor to grounds adjoining Whitley Wood Hall where the mass gathering was planned. As the dates fit and this was such an important occasion at the time I am tempted to think that this was when the photo was taken