Disappointment on supertram tonight

Some time ago we were walking through a park in the city with my daughter, aged about 6 or 7 at the time.

There was a group of lads ahead of us, and as we were walking faster than them we overtook them. As we did so, they were loudly swearing etc. I wouldn't have made an issue of it, it was just between themselves but it wasn't pleasant.

However, they noticed we were passing, and noticed we had a young daughter, and one of them said to me, "oh sorry, mate, didn't know you were there".

And I said, "That's no problem, but thanks for thinking of others".

Another time I was on a tram and sitting just in front of a couple of women who were probably in their 70s. They were expressing horribly racist sentiments, quite loudly, so I turned around and asked them politely to save it for a private moment. The colourful abuse I got for that was amusing, albeit aggressive, and had they been in their 20s I would have been intimidated.

So I told them they were the product of 1980s do-goodism and what we needed was the return of the Borstals and the birch. They didn't get it.

We shouldn't start making generalisations about society based on particular examples, and we certainly shouldn't draw wildly implausible conclusions.

Same happened to me a while back when Sheffield Wednesday were playing at home and a group of about twenty teenage fans couldnt apologise enough when they realised my little lads were in earshot of them and might have heard one of them swearing, they were very polite and apologetic, just further down the road the same thing happened with a group of male and female fans who were all in their 30's and 40's that barged right through us swearing like troopers and not giving a toss about my little uns.

I am so disappointed.

I was on the sheffield to meadowhall tram this evening, it was packed.

2 boys, 13-14 started swearing and talking in the most offensive way, mostly about homophobic they were.

After a couple of minutes i thought enough is enough and drew the matter to the attention of a conductor, the boys heard me do so and i wasnt bothered tbh, that they knew it was me.

The conductor did ask them to pipe down however the boys decided they were affronted by the attempted curtailment of their 'freedom of speech' and gobbed off even more. The tram then came to nunnery square and the conducter said 'im getting off now' and then did so.

The boys then loudly proclaimed their entitlement to say what they wanted and how dare 'she' meaning me, try and stop them.

I am disappointed that a blind eye was turned and realised that indeed they were entitled to say what they want because for the most part they will never be taught any different by society as it is now.

Im not a serial do gooder, i just wanted to do what i thought was the right thing and not turn a blind eye to disgusting, offensive, homophobic, ignorant 'bants'.

I will continue to challenge and stand up to these oafs, i will continue to fight this 'it's not my problem' society we live in.

Ah well.

Welldone, it a shame fellow passengers didnt also offer some voice of support to the conductor when he confronted them.

this is an everyday occurance but no longer newsworthy I'm afraid.

It's definitely a generation thing.

There's a term which describes a thin skinned younger generation that can't cope with conflicting views, let alone criticism & believe it to be their right to speak without consequence.

Narcissistic, over sensitive, entitled types who can't deal with, & take offence with anyone disagreeing with them, & also believe it to be their right to be protected from anything they might find unpalatable.

Generation Snowflake, delicate little flowers.

Some time ago we were walking through a park in the city with my daughter, aged about 6 or 7 at the time.

There was a group of lads ahead of us, and as we were walking faster than them we overtook them. As we did so, they were loudly swearing etc. I wouldn't have made an issue of it, it was just between themselves but it wasn't pleasant.

However, they noticed we were passing, and noticed we had a young daughter, and one of them said to me, "oh sorry, mate, didn't know you were there".

And I said, "That's no problem, but thanks for thinking of others".

Another time I was on a tram and sitting just in front of a couple of women who were probably in their 70s. They were expressing horribly racist sentiments, quite loudly, so I turned around and asked them politely to save it for a private moment. The colourful abuse I got for that was amusing, albeit aggressive, and had they been in their 20s I would have been intimidated.

So I told them they were the product of 1980s do-goodism and what we needed was the return of the Borstals and the birch. They didn't get it.

We shouldn't start making generalisations about society based on particular examples, and we certainly shouldn't draw wildly implausible conclusions.

You win this weeks 'Pot, kettle, black award' - bravo.

Ironically the root cause of such behaviour has been caused by serial do-gooders since the late 70s when corporal punishment was abolished in schools, together with parents later on being prevented by law from disciplining their offspring.

Don’t blame the tram guard for limited intervention. Some of the 13-14 year olds would not think twice about using a knife if the guard had pursued the situation more firmly, and for the same reasons I give above.

the curtailment of a lawful joke excuse for assaults occasionaning actual bodily hamr in the name of discipline has nothign t o do with the falling standards of behaviour ...

corporal punishment actually teaches violence as a norm .

the law does not prevent parents from disciplining their children, it does however prevent them from treatign them as chattells or from using force that would amount to a battery or ABH in any other situation.

Ironically the root cause of such behaviour has been caused by serial do-gooders since the late 70s when corporal punishment was abolished in schools, together with parents later on being prevented by law from disciplining their offspring.

Don’t blame the tram guard for limited intervention. Some of the 13-14 year olds would not think twice about using a knife if the guard had pursued the situation more firmly, and for the same reasons I give above.

Yes beating children will certainly improve their behaviour :rolleyes:

Each to their own, but when my young son becomes an adult I certainly wont be telling him to step in and intervene. Too many knives and violent folk about, as well as the mentally ill who years ago wouldn't be abandoned by the authorities into the community as they are now.

Edited by WarPig

It might be your son getting abused one day, you'd hope that someone else will step up and intervene then I guess...

You win this weeks 'Pot, kettle, black award' - bravo.

I suspect you need a whooooooooooosh.

But they should as its their duty to stop that sort of behaviour on the tram. I have witnessed a similar incident a few weeks ago when a woman told 3 kids to stop cursing and keep their voices down. The tram conductor was stood nearby and did nothing at all, and thats probably down to not causing an incident by stopping a packed tram.

Tram conductors are trained not to intervene and to walk away, if they get involved it could result in a disciplinary. If you have an issue with that direct your ire at the company, not the staff.