School Boy Memories

I had to be coaxed with a trip round't corner to Redgates.............just to look, could never afford anything!

Ah... Redgates. In the early 70's my Nan over in Manchester gave me a 10 Shilling note for my birthday. I'd never seen that much money, let alone had it! I spent every penny of it in Redgates.

As for school uniform. It was that most feared time of the year for me, to be dragged off to Carbrook House (Is that the CoOp?) to get the next years clothes for school. I blame such trips on scarring me for life... I still hate shops and shopping! :hihi:

John

Don't you mean Trippet Lane for the Scout and Guide shop.

I wonder if they still sell knives to 11 year old boys ?

No.......I'm sure.

There used to be ( don't know now ) on Campo Lane a barber's - and a watch repairer, the Scout and Guide shop was on the same side as these but a little further up going in direction of The Golden Ball.

---------- Post added 08-12-2016 at 11:37 ----------

Silver stones wasn't opposite the Golden Ball it was round the corner from Townhead Street , it was Townhead St where the Golden Ball was, I used the 9 Carat Testicle in the early sixties. The New Golden Ball was built later on the corner of Vicar Lane and Campo Lane and Silverstones were on the same side it wasn't opposite.

I don't know about any Golden Ball on Townhead Street - only the Golden Ball on Campo Lane, I'm hardly likely to forget it seeing as my wife and I who had just got married went in there with our friends and relatives having just given our wedding vows.

If you were to stand directly outside the Golden Ball facing it on that little side street, then it would be directly opposite.

The address of the golden ball is 29/31 campo lane.I don't now if there was a scout shop on campo lane but there definately was one on trippet lane,i passed it every day on way to work in early 60s and it is still there today,the scout and guide shop. 60/68 trippett lane.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s22862&pos=1&action=zoom&id=25321

The link to a photo in Picture Sheffield shows the position of Silverstones at the bottom of Vicar Lane, although I had always thought it was where the Golden Ball is now - I wonder if it was there once.

John, you mention your wedding day. Ironically my reception was at the S&E co-op, where this thread started

High Storrs Grammar 1958,Robert Bros.not just the uniform but house shirt,PE kit all with name tags to be sewn in.On top of that new satchel with trig set,pen and pencil set bottle of Quink etc.It was only later you realised the money laid out by your parents for your education.

Walsh's was another one who did school uniforms.

They must have been the most expensive if from there then !

---------- Post added 08-12-2016 at 15:04 ----------

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s22862&pos=1&action=zoom&id=25321

The link to a photo in Picture Sheffield shows the position of Silverstones at the bottom of Vicar Lane, although I had always thought it was where the Golden Ball is now - I wonder if it was there once.

John, you mention your wedding day. Ironically my reception was at the S&E co-op, where this thread started[/quote

One reason perhaps all those 'Bobbies' are marching up Vicar Lane was because the Miner's union -N.U.M.- had moved their headquarters (and Arthur Scargill) from London, to offices above the 'Golden Ball' (bottom of hill on left.)

Edited by stpetre
Add

at the manor top ,just down city rd from the manor cinema, BERYLS sold uniforms==for Hurlfield boys /girls

The Scout and Guide Shop was and still is on Trippet Lane - it's been there since the 1940s. Silverstones and the (new) Golden Ball were on opposite corners of Vicar Lane. The old Golden Ball was at No 10 Townhead Street on the corner of Campo Lane - it was demolished in c. 1967.

I got my first uniform from a shop next to the Castle Market I can't remember the name tho.

I got my first uniform from a shop next to the Castle Market I can't remember the name tho.

"Bunney's' perhaps ?

Having passed the Eleven Plus to go to Notre Dame High School, our parents were expected to purchase our uniform from a shop at the top of West Street. Don't think it was cheap and I suspect some of it was bought from B & C Co Op, C & A or Banners!!!!