Crookes Bricks factory

I recently knocked down a wall in my garden and found that "Crookes Bricks" was stamped on each brick.

Does anyone know where the Crookes brick factory/yard was? even better any archived pictures. I'm guessing it was around in the early 1900s?

The 1905 directory shows the Crookes Brick Co. Ltd on Sackville Road and possible clay pits are visible on this old map (click on the blue dot and drag to the left for a modern aerial view)

I recently knocked down a wall in my garden and found that "Crookes Bricks" was stamped on each brick.

Does anyone know where the Crookes brick factory/yard was? even better any archived pictures. I'm guessing it was around in the early 1900s?

Brick Street?

Excellent link Hillbro. Crookes Brick Co. was certainly in the Sackville Road area. Brick Street, was I believe the first street built as all brick houses, it was knocked down because they were back-to-back houses. The saying has it that the houses in Crookes were built out of their own cellars - there were many sandstone quarries in the locality. Stone houses were more popular and given the difficulty of getting bricks up the hill to Crookes this material was used extensively. Having said all that, most of the "stone built" houses are brick at the back or on the inside walls !!

Despite the above Crookes Brick Co. bricks are not all that common in my experience, you should hang on to them - they will not be making any more.

Another great find Hillsboro.

We used to play in the old Quarry part of the Bolehills as kids, and looking at that map, I never knew that Northfield Ave was once called Quarry Lane.

There were a few quarries around exploring at that map, one on Morley Street, another on Walkley Bank Rd, Liberty Hill(Stannington),and also the Gannister Pit off Wood Lane.

Interested to see this I saw a pile of bricks with "crookes bricks"this morning in a skip, whilst walking through Crookes. Great to hear where they come from.

Excellent link Hillbro. Crookes Brick Co. was certainly in the Sackville Road area. Brick Street, was I believe the first street built as all brick houses, it was knocked down because they were back-to-back houses. The saying has it that the houses in Crookes were built out of their own cellars - there were many sandstone quarries in the locality. Stone houses were more popular and given the difficulty of getting bricks up the hill to Crookes this material was used extensively. Having said all that, most of the "stone built" houses are brick at the back or on the inside walls !!

Despite the above Crookes Brick Co. bricks are not all that common in my experience, you should hang on to them - they will not be making any more.

Thanks. Very interesting stuff.

---------- Post added 02-12-2016 at 08:39 ----------

The 1905 directory shows the Crookes Brick Co. Ltd on Sackville Road and possible clay pits are visible on this old map (click on the blue dot and drag to the left for a modern aerial view)

Great link. Thank you