Mojo club in the 60s

hgfhgfhgfhgf

Edited by EdmundH

That's right, and that's also something that I never really understood, why did the place close down in mid '67? Was it because Stringfellow wanted to go to London?

The neighbours got it closed down. Stringy didn't open up in London until he'd tried Leeds and Manchester first.

The neighbours got it closed down. Stringy didn't open up in London until he'd tried Leeds and Manchester first.

Yes Jim, after the 'Mojo' Pete opened up 'Down Broadway' (High Street) and later 'The Penthouse' (Haymarket/Dixon Lane the first of his ventures to sell alcohol). Then as you say, Leeds ('Cinderalla Rockefeller ???) and Manchester (Millionaires). Went to both of them early '70s. After those when 'Josephine's' (not a Stringfellow place) opened in 1976 , I realised that they (Josie's), had not invented 'Ten Bob millionaires' !

Edited by stpetre
add

Yes Jim, after the 'Mojo' Pete opened up 'Down Broadway' (High Street) and later 'The Penthouse' (Haymarket/Dixon Lane the first of his ventures to sell alcohol). Then as you say, Leeds ('Cinderalla Rockefeller ???) and Manchester (Millionaires). Went to both of them early '70s and after I knew that when 'Josephine's' (not a Stringfellow place) opened in 1976 that they (Josie's) hadn't invented 'Ten Bob millionaires' !

Oh Boy, the Penthouse and those 10p a drink nights on Mondays and Wednesdays in the 70's. Lol, I sometimes wonder how I got down those stairs at the end of the night, I am sure I must have got helped a time or two, if you know what I mean.:D

Oh Boy, the Penthouse and those 10p a drink nights on Mondays and Wednesdays in the 70's. Lol, I sometimes wonder how I got down those stairs at the end of the night, I am sure I must have got helped a time or two, if you know what I mean.:D

There was a manager at the Penthouse who used to park his E type in the loading bay downstairs, He had a rather quaint turn of phrase at closing time at the Penthouse, it went something like this ' You've had a good time, we've had a good time, now <removed> off ' Ah the good old days

No, it was the Mojo but it's conjecture as to which WMC it was as, two were in ten minutes walk away. They being Pitsmoor WMC on Pitsmoor Road and the Limes WMC in the other direction on the downward slope of Barnsley Road.

In the book Club 60 &The Esquire, the owner of the Esquire Terry Thornton, tells the same story about the Small Faces turning up at the Esquire.

My sister's been in 2 documentaries about the Mojo. Not sure who made them though.

Does anyone remember a lady who used to go to this club and Blue Moon club by the name of Gillian Ogden? 

Edited by Emma Mills

I remember a lady called Gillian who was quite a close friend Of Pete Stringfellow.