Notre Dame High School in the 50s

No there were no boys at Notre Dame in the 50s. We did all we could to get access to the boys at De La Salle College. The library at Notre Dame had copies of Green and Gold - the De La Salle magaazine and we would gaze with longing at the photos of football and cricket teams!

I wish you had let me know Stunmon - I would have dashed right over from Scott Road !!!

My sister went to Notre Dame in the late 30's/early forties and was evacuated with the school to Derwent House. She hated it that much she walked all the way home to Upperthorpe where we lived one night.

I knew a girl who went to Notre Dame and this would be in the mid to late fifties.

Her name was Maureen, cannot recall her surname but she married a lad called John Creswick or Cresswick....any body a clue on this one .......

anyone remember the Fergiones? anna and gloria? defo 50s

I attended Notre Dame High School in the 1950s. Some of my classmates were : Dianne Fisher, Angela Bailey and Andrea Wright.

Can anyone remember the name of the Art teacher at this time? Was it Mrs Caley? I think the English teacher was Mrs Linstead?

Hi,

My mother won a scholarship to Notre Dame. She was there until 1952 I think, then was forced to leave and find a job because of awful poverty in those days, well for miners families anyway.

My mothers name was Eileen May Jones from Manvers Road, Beighton.

The head teacher at the time was Sister Monica.

Apparently she refused to let my mother leave school, so while everyone was enjoying the Christmas parties in '52 she had to collect all her things and sneak out. She desperately wishes she's been able to say goodbye to her friends there. ( I think this is so sad, it's hard to imagin isn't it):sad::sad:

She says she doesn't regret leaving, because the family lived in such poverty then that another wage was so important.

Funny, Britain seems to be heading back to those times rather quickly.:shocked:

No there were no boys at Notre Dame in the 50s. We did all we could to get access to the boys at De La Salle College. The library at Notre Dame had copies of Green and Gold - the De La Salle magaazine and we would gaze with longing at the photos of football and cricket teams!

I was at Notre Dame in the late 40's??... My sister also went to Notre dame. When I left i went to Saint Maries off Queens road... Later in 50/51 I went to De La salle. So yes boys didi go to Noter Dame..my sister was Patricia Mary Kenrick.

---------- Post added 15-03-2014 at 11:36 ----------

:wave: some of us who were in the Fifth in 1963 have been meeting up for coffee and cakes several times a year for the last few years. We made contact, also with a few ex-pats via Friends Reunited. Anyone still in Sheff or nearby is more than welcome to come along and say hello, pm me for details. I don't like posting too much personal information on an open forum, tbh.

A form photo for 1959 is posted on the FR/ND page and there's also a pic that was taken of us the other year when we had a tour around Oakbrook.

YES BOYS did go to Notre Dame.. I went and I was still a boy then. Born 38 and went in the 40's.. Was locked in Sister Marie Pierre's office for kissing girl in the cloak room.. Wonderful days apart from the school dinners and the awful beet root....

I was there from 1958 to 1965, not all at Cavendish Street. I was in 1a I think, I still have the photo when we were in the first year, all in out dark green dresses with white detachable collars.

I remember the name Danaher certainly. Was friends with Margaret Green who very sadly has died from a brain tumour.

---------- Post added 11-11-2015 at 15:44 ----------

What / where is the FR/N D page?

I wish you had let me know Stunmon - I would have dashed right over from Scott Road !!!

The brothers would have beat you too it, they were allowed to drive , we were too young lol;)

Edited by TORONTONY

Does anyone remember teachers like Miss Jowett, Mrs Linstead or Mrs Chappell who was a very large lady and taught music? Or any other of the teachers for that matter? I was there between 1953 and 1959.

My apoligies, it was De La Salle where my mates went. Both Hillsboro' lads. Not being RC, I'm not up with the schools.

De La Salle was on Scott Road, Pitsmoor, now a private housing estate.

De La Salle was on Scott Road, Pitsmoor, now a private housing estate.

Thought I'd quickly look at the forum in a quiet moment and Notre Dame aroused my interest. My cousin Margaret Ryalls went to ND I'd guess from 1963-70 and I went to De La Salle from 1966-73.

Yes it was on Scott Road and now but a memory.

Are you still there Golden Oldie? I left Notre Dame in 1959 and lived in Vancouver from 1965-67. andreaw