Sheffield Books

There has been a great upsurge over the past few years on books about Sheffield written by professional and amateur writers.

Some are not good with very poor picture reproduction which is maddening when you pay good money but others are really good.

One I can recommend is a book I saw in the Central Library yesterday entitled 'T'owd Locals' by JR Wrigley and it is superb.

There are many excellent pictures of the old Sheffield pubs that I have never seen before.

For anyone interested it is worth a borrow from the library.

Does anyone know of any other worthwhile Sheffield books?

PopT

Edited by PopT

All of Wrigley's 'camera' series are worth a look. There are about eight in all - Hillsborough Camera, Owlerton Camera, Pitsmoor Camera, Darnall Camera, Sheffield Camera, Walkley Camera and East End Camera are the ones I have.

All of Wrigley's 'camera' series are worth a look. There are about eight in all - Hillsborough Camera, Owlerton Camera, Pitsmoor Camera, Darnall Camera, Sheffield Camera, Walkley Camera and East End Camera are the ones I have.

My husband was given a book called "Images of Sheffield" which is a collection of photographs and drawings put together by The Star back in the early 90's. It's quite interesting to see how things have changed

If you go onto ebay and click on to "books,and magazines" then type in sheffield. It will bring up loads of books on sale about Sheffield and district. Many are books full of photo's, some are about Sheffield history etc. Even if you don't want to buy, it will give you an idea of what is available. Many of these books will be available from the library.

Get 'Weer's Me Dad' by the late Fred Pass.

Thanks for that tip Lakerman

PopT

"The Northern Clemency" by Philip Hensher. 2008. Knopf, N.Y.

It's a novel that is set in Sheffield but not really about Sheffield. Excellent read. I posted a review of it on the Writers' Group section of this Forum.

This thread would not be complete without mention of Keith Farnsworth and Peter Harvey. Go look 'em up.

My mum had Sheffield School Life by Sylvia Langdan because it was about the school she went to Malin Bridge - diaries and pupil memories from 1879.

Another book which I found to be an interesting easy read from the library was, 'Paradise Square' by Albert Jackson.

PopT

Frank Hartley wrote three in the Nineties about the forties and fifties in Sheffield.

"Where sparrows coughed", was the first one...Hilarious.

Another one I enjoyed was the John Harris book "Covenant with death " It's really a novel about the Sheffield Battalion up to the Somme, but names have been changed, like Black Mires (Red mires) and ottercliff (Attercliff)..... A good read

I had a fertle in a 10p box outside a charity shop yesterday and found a nearly new copy of 'Weerz Mi Mam' by Fred Pass.

When I went into the shop to pay they said all books were half price so I paid 5p for it.

I read it last night and found it was such a good read, thoroughly recommend it.

@

' Worth Every Penny' Tee Hee!

Happy Days PopT