Meersbrook Bank School Mid 50s

Hi star walker. No I live in workshop now, we moved there in 86. Elaine Jackson did live on cliffield road and I lived in Pearson place. It was a good school had some good times.

---------- Post added 30-10-2014 at 22:20 ----------

Sorry that should be worksop

---------- Post added 31-10-2014 at 06:08 ----------

Rock on I know you and have had contact with you on another forum. I have rembered more class mates. Linda Jones, Lynn crab tree, john Nicholson, Tina cosford,Susan miller,Geoffrey pane,my minds gone blank now. A get together would be great.

hi jaycee, the only class member i know from pearson place was clive morgan.

Hi rock on. I lived opposite Clive Morgan. My initials then were jk but I don't think you will remember me. Clive is living in Truro now.

Went there during the war. The headmaster was called Pool or Poole and we used to chant:-

Old mister pool, he is a fool

He goes to church on Sunday,

He prays to God to give him strength

To cane the lads on Monday.

---------- Post added 02-11-2014 at 10:40 ----------

Did you know that during the war the school was closed and we had Home lessons. One of the teachers would hold class in one of the student's house. Ours was one of them, I lived on Millmount road.

Hi rock on. I lived opposite Clive Morgan. My initials then were jk but I don't think you will remember me. Clive is living in Truro now.

last time i saw clive was in the late sixties he was working at a car radiator repair shop, don't think he recognised me.i heard he had a bad motor bike smash that left him with mental issues

Edited by rockonvynil

Hello Joan, I have just seen this post. i hope that you are well. it's a while since we last corresponded. I am living in Swansea with my second wife, Galina. Clive has not spoken to me since Adrian died in 2009.

As you know I too went to MB school (1953 - 1959). I recall a lot of the names mentioned earlier in this thread. Raymond Oakley was a big mate of my brother, Clive.

In my year, there was Tony Gardner, Andrew Jordan, John Taylor, Susan Heeley, Christine Castrey, Susan Aspinall, Steven Garbutt, John Everitt (who went on to King Edward VII), Stevan Hardwick, Stan Seggar, Karen Jerzynski, Geoff Torr (who died in 2009), a girl called Francis, Ann Jones, Kathrine Milner, Stuart Hukin (who still trades from his parents premises at 25 Thirwell Road), and Susan Pryke, amongst others.

Rosemary Peacock who was in Clive's (your) year married my friend Jim Voss - they live near Wetherby. i hope to see them again later this year. Also, in your class was Ann Ingham, Kevin Battersby, and Andrea Small.

My first wife, Val Thorpe, was in the year above me. I think that in her class was Melanie Pringle, Pamela May, Helen Needham, Margaret Stafford, Christine Byrne (nee Wragg), Shirley Damms, Margaret Orwin (nee Jenkinson), June Housley (nee Spotswood), Elaine Perry (later of dancing school fame), and Ian McGowan.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 15:22 ----------

last time i saw clive was in the late sixties he was working at a car radiator repair shop, don't think he recognised me.i heard he had a bad motor bike smash that left him with mental issues

Clive had a bad temper as a child and his motorcycle accident on Shoreham Street left him with physical and mental issues. He suffers from multi-mini-strokes and this caused him to take early retirement quite a few years ago.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 15:34 ----------

yes you are spot on .its a pity more ex class members have not posted our class had thirty eight pupils alone,you may get better results on face book or twitter-mick

Hi MG, I think that John Everitt and me were punished for dropping you in a puddle in the playground after you and, my brother, Clive had been teasing us. i think that we only wanted to make you think that we were going to drop you, but I recall that you struggled and we could not hold on. Is it too late for me to apologise?

I am sorry that Clive didn't recognise you when he was working in that radiator repairers. He had taken a job as an apprentice at Laycocks and because the money wasn't good he left to take the dead end job repairing radiators. He met his wife, Sheila, there.

As i recall it you were big mates with Clive at MB school. Clive's health is not good and he won't speak to me since my younger brother, Adrian, died in 2009.

Since reading your thread i cannot stop thinking about newspaper delivery. Did you deliver newspapers as a teenager? Other than that I cannot think why "newspapers" have come into my mind.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 15:41 ----------

notepad I was born 1950

rockon sad to hear about douglas he was in the class above me as was raymond and i think you also as some of the names you posted are familiar from the distant past Linda Roper is another name I recall ( I think!!) My Class was Michael Sheldon, just another oe to add to list. Oh and Susan Owen. You May have been in the class above so Im guessing your initials are either MK or MG from the list I posted, could be miles out!!!!.

I recall Linda Roper. I think she was in my class.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 15:46 ----------

Most of the names on the list seem to be from my old class some are not, both me and my sister are mentioned.Some more to add are,

Kevin Battersby-now living in Stocksbridge

Jackie Whitworth

Kathy Timm

Susan Lotes

Dianna Wilson

Clive Morgan

Chris sanderson

One sadly no longer with us is my old pal Duggy Bowers.

Perhaps other class members could add even more and we need to have a get together some time.

Will try to update from time to time.

Chris Sanderson lived at the junction of Norton Lees Road and Derbyshire Lane. His dad ran the body shop on Derbyshire Lane. He had an older sister, who had nice blond hair.

Graydon Timm, Kathy's brother, passed the 11+ (as i did) and went to Rowlinson (as i did). Graydon lives near me here in Swansea. He is a retired University Lecturer - he did well in his career.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 16:46 ----------

Quite a few of the people mentioned in this thread are on Friends Reunited. Ray Oakley, Joan K and Mick G for example. There are some interesting photos on that site too. http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk Kevin Battersby and Ray Oakley are also on FB

Edited by gwyn_roberts

I was born in 1947 & attended Meersbrook infants from 1952 to the end of 1954. Mr Aizlewood was the headmaster & I was taught by Miss Day & Mrs Rotherham. Some classmates I remember: Keith Hardy, Harry Lomas, Ian McGowan, Richard Welburn, Peter Slack, John? Coulson, Linda Railton, Martin Tricklebank, Stan Seggar, Steven Hardwick. I worked with Ian McGowan in the late 60s & early 70s for BT's predecessor. Ian now lives in Shrewsbury.

Edited by fatrajah

Martin Tricklebank died a few years ago

Anyone remember Bill Lawson, lived on Burcot Road.

Was at the school 1951 to 1958 then on to Newfield.

Was sorry to see the death of Bryan Seggar a few years ago, a very likeable school pal at Newfield.

Was sorry to see the death of Bryan Seggar a few years ago, a very likeable school pal at Newfield.

Martin Tricklebank also worked for BT's predecessor. Sorry to hear has passed away. I think he lived on Cliffe Field Road in the 50s.

A few more names I have remembered: Fred Kriel, Sarah Boddy, Harry Gardner, Bob? Furness. I remember seeing Melanie Pringle in the local press in about 1967. She was wearing a miniskirt & looked very attractive.

Edited by fatrajah

I was born in 1947 & attended Meersbrook infants from 1952 to the end of 1954. Mr Aizlewood was the headmaster & I was taught by Miss Day & Mrs Rotherham. Some classmates I remember: Keith Hardy, Harry Lomas, Ian McGowan, Richard Welburn, Peter Slack, John? Coulson, Linda Railton, Martin Tricklebank, Stan Seggar, Steven Hardwick. I worked with Ian McGowan in the late 60s & early 70s for BT's predecessor. Ian now lives in Shrewsbury.

John Coulson from Pearson Place went to Carrfield School not MB. Linda Railton, Harry Lomas, Stan Seggar and Steven Hardwick were in my class (we left in 1959)

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 19:04 ----------

Sorry to hear about Martin Tricklebank. Bryan Seggar's sister Lynne, who now lives in Dronfield Woodhouse, told me about Bryan some years ago.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 19:10 ----------

Martin Tricklebank also worked for BT's predecessor. Sorry to hear has passed away. I think he lived on Cliffe Field Road in the 50s.

A few more names I have remembered: Fred Kriel, Sarah Boddy, Harry Gardner, Bob? Furness. I remember seeing Melanie Pringle in the local press in about 1967. She was wearing a miniskirt & looked very attractive.

Martin lived on Cliffe View Road next to the entrance to Meersbrook Park when he was at school. I recall that he went out with Margaret Jenkinson at some time in the 60s.

---------- Post added 22-07-2015 at 13:06 ----------

John Coulson from Pearson Place went to Carrfield School not MB. Linda Railton, Harry Lomas, Stan Beggar and Steven Hardwick were in my class (we left in 1959)

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 19:04 ----------

Sorry to hear about Martin Tricklebank. Bryan Seggar's sister Lynne, who now lives in Dronfield Woodhouse, told me about Bryan some years ago.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 19:10 ----------

Martin lived on Cliffe View Road next to the entrance to Meersbrook Park when he was at school. I recall that he went out with Margaret Jenkinson at some time in the 60s.

I recalled last evening that David Jepson was in my class (left 1959). David died when he was about 19 or 20 years old in hospital due to what his family feel was medical negligence. David's brother Vincent was in the year above me. I am in touch with older brother Tony, who lives at Middlewood, who also went to MB. Tony's now about 74 years of age.

I am in touch with Melvyn Goddard, who is a couple of years older than me. Melvyn lives now in St Tropez. We both passed the 11+ and went to Rawlinson

Thinking of Martin Tricklelbank reminded me that John Fairfax was in the year above me and Keith Fairfax was the year below me. Keith lives on Warminster Road (opposite to where I lived with my first wife). John Crossland was a big mate of John Fairfax and Martin Tricklebank.

Edited by gwyn_roberts

Meersbrook Bank School were our enemies. I went to St Wilfrids, on Meersbrook Park Road. There was always trouble in the park between us. The solution was for us to finish 30 minutes earlier and I think they were banned from the park at lunchtime. I don't recall anyone got hurt, just friendly rivalry.

Meersbrook Bank School were our enemies. I went to St Wilfrids, on Meersbrook Park Road. There was always trouble in the park between us. The solution was for us to finish 30 minutes earlier and I think they were banned from the park at lunchtime. I don't recall anyone got hurt, just friendly rivalry.

Hi, what year was that? I don't recall a St Wilfrid's on Meersbrook Park Road