Summit Watches information please.

Re the Cleetus69 and Hillbro posts

Very interesting information about Alec which I never knew. I remember him well, even though I was around 10/11 at the time. He was a regular visitor to my uncles shop in Woodhouse (G.L.Curr and Son - Watchmakers and Jewellers) in the 1950/60's. He was also a good friends of my fathers. Although I only ever thought of him as Isaacs Travelling Salesman at the time - due to the number of cases he had in his car with watches, jewellery etc. This has become an interesting thread and brought back many memories to my 74 year old memories.

Best Wishes - Victor Hutchinson - Subang Jaya, Malaysia - sorry Sheffield - not cold here - 91 degrees and climbing at 9-25am Tuesday - works winders in preventing cold and damp weather aches and pains etc

Hi Victor,My wife asks if you are related to the Hutchinsons Pork Butchers in Swallownest and Lillian Hutchinson.

Re the Cleetus69 and Hillbro posts

Very interesting information about Alec which I never knew. I remember him well, even though I was around 10/11 at the time. He was a regular visitor to my uncles shop in Woodhouse (G.L.Curr and Son - Watchmakers and Jewellers) in the 1950/60's. He was also a good friends of my fathers. Although I only ever thought of him as Isaacs Travelling Salesman at the time - due to the number of cases he had in his car with watches, jewellery etc. This has become an interesting thread and brought back many memories to my 74 year old memories.

Best Wishes - Victor Hutchinson - Subang Jaya, Malaysia - sorry Sheffield - not cold here - 91 degrees and climbing at 9-25am Tuesday - works winders in preventing cold and damp weather aches and pains etc

Funnily enough one of my earliest memories was of getting into trouble for opening one of his cases and playing with the watches inside, I think I was about 4 at the time.

I only recently found out he was the sales manager there as I too thought he was a travelling salesman as spent on sales trips to customers. We'd often be watching TV and he would know the place well and who had a shop there.

Best wishes to you too Victor from sunny Kingston upon Thames :-)

bullerboY - sorry no relation - do not even know of them, but I left Swallownest in 1967 for Driffield, then 2006 to Malaysia.

My father, also Victor Hutchinson, was from Sheffield Road, Woodhouse. from age 14 he worked for my uncle George and uncles father in Market Place, Woodhouse. G.L.Curr and Son watchmakers and jewelers. Dad opened the shop at the side selling cycles, radio and tv. 1962 he moved into the motor trade in Swallownest, then 1969 to Handsworth (Crest Motors) plus a place at Maltby. He was well known around the area

Best Regards - Victor

Thanks for replying Victor I will relay that to her,I remember Crest Motors well being in the motor trade for 50yrs myself.

Hello, if anyone is reading this thread, I just found it.

Alec was my uncle, i'm the son of his brother Bernard. I remember Alec as a lovely man, and his wife Blanche. Always very generous with his time (no pun intended) and really sociable. Alas he was no loner with us when we went back to the UK in 2000.

On 25/10/2013 at 09:01, bullerboY said:

Does anyone have any information on the history of Summit Watches,I understand these were made at Summit House on Nursery St and were supplied to the forces in ww2.Better still anyone got one to sell? Did anyone work there?

Hello, I've only just joined, and have an interest in this topic.   I was shorthand typist to Teddy Isaacs from 1978-1980, and during that time he was writing his book "All in a Lifetime", so alongside the company work, I typed up his book for him in instalments.  He had spidery writing, which could be difficult to read - especially the lengthy overseas surnames - try deciphering "Katzenellenbogen".   I also did a small amount of typing work for the Sheffield Jewish Congregation, for Rabbi Brysh.  Mr Isaacs (as I had to call him) had previously been President of the Jewish Congregation.  I loved working there - the pay was very poor, but we were well looked after.  I think Mr Isaacs was in his 70's when I worked there, but he was really energetic, and used to go on business trips abroad to Switzerland, and also to Israel too.  I used to hear him on the phone ringing airlines, and he'd book multiple flights in the same trip!

I remember his sister Maisie - she was a lovely lady, and was married to Harry Glass, of Glass, Bagshawe and Miller.  Although she'd been a JP, I think she had some acting experience from her past, and was a bubbly, enthusiastic person, who really made her presence known in my tiny office.

Although our pay wasn't very much, Mr Isaacs was always really generous with us at Christmas.  We'd be invited into the Showroom by Mrs Stubbs, the Manager there, and we were allowed to choose our Christmas gift.  The longer you worked there, the greater the cost, but you never knew how much you could have, but Mrs Stubbs gently guided you as to what you could have.  I remember the first year, I was thrilled to be able to have a pretty little silver plated rose bowl.  

I've seen Alec Bool's name on this topic - I remember him as one of the travel reps.  I have fond memories of working there.  I was only 17 when I started there, and it was my first job after leaving college.

I still have my gold Summit watch from there, which my parents bought me for my 21st birthday.