Grimesthorpe Part 3

Very sorry to tell you of the death at 10.30pm yesterday 27 October of Jenny Atherton (nee Fretwell), wife of Dave & very active member of Reform Chapel Youth Club in the 1960's.

Edited by johnpm

Sorry to have to start part3 with sad news. It was in The Star, Terrence Rhodes has passed away, his funeral is at Shiregreen Cemetry, Friday 15th August at 14.45.

The Rhodes family used to live opposite the Club on Grimesthorpe Road.

Condolences to all his family.

mike passed away a few weeks after

Can anyone remember Roy and Joan Elwood..Roy was the club steward of the grimesthorpe club in the 70s...

Can anyone remember Roy and Joan Elwood..Roy was the club steward of the grimesthorpe club in the 70s...

Knew Niel and his brother they had a junk shop on staniforth road used to drink in Bowling green AH good old days !

Knew Niel and his brother they had a junk shop on staniforth road used to drink in Bowling green AH good old days !

Yes Neil is my brother in law I married Andrea there is Neil Ian Andrew Alan and Andrew and Jannie yes the junk shop was my Dads that they took over yes I used go in the bowling green when bill walker was the landlord Tom flynn took over from him , sad to say Roy passed away this year..sad time I miss the old lad I thought a lot of him.

Yes Neil is my brother in law I married Andrea there is Neil Ian Andrew Alan and Andrew and Jannie yes the junk shop was my Dads that they took over yes I used go in the bowling green when bill walker was the landlord Tom flynn took over from him , sad to say Roy passed away this year..sad time I miss the old lad I thought a lot of him.

MY X WIFE WORKED THERE WHERE WHEN Billy walker had it neil and his bro were always in on a night mind you We used to walk home and not get bothered by anyone it was a great place grimesthorpe and wincobank bought 1st house on Forthill Rd?

I was brought up in the snoby end of town millhouses:hihi: meeting the family and going to grimesthorpe was bit of a culture shock for me,,love the place first off though,I can see it now busling all the factories on full go loads of pubs and clubs yes I have fond memories of the place its a shame to see it now,the club is a dosshouse now no pubs all closed...

Edited by Lobos

I was brought up in the snody end of town millhouses:hihi: meeting the family and going to grimesthorpe was bit of a culture shock for me,,love the place first off though,I can see it now busling all the factories on full go loads of pubs and clubs yes I have fond memories of the place its a shame to see it now,the club is a dosshouse now no pubs all closed...

Balls still open !

Yes, I remember Joan & Roy. I worked for them in `77 at the club with my sister-in-law Sybil. I wasn`t there very long though.

--------------------------------

The former Picturedrome, Upwell st, Grimesthorpe next to the ball pub. It open 18th march 1912.

seating capacity was about 700, by the end of 1912 variety acts were being included in film programmes.

In March 1924 the hall was sold to a syndicate to Phoenix Theatre Manchester who reopened it as

the Regent Theatre May 1925. It was quite well suited to being used as a variety and revue theatre,

as there was a 16ft deep stage and four dressing rooms; a stage entrance had been constucted in 1916.

By March 1931 the company was in voluntary liquidation but the cinema remained open.

The Regent ran a twice-nightly variety and revue theatre fromMay 1935. No local reference had been

traced but a report in the trade press stated that the cinema had been closed for several months.

So that marked the end of the Pictuedrome.

The Regent survived but not without moments of high drama; the theatre closed on June 15th 1940.

----------

Does anyone have any memories of it, now a Garage i believe- on Upwell st.

Edited by brian1941
Wording

Sorry to have to start part3 with sad news. It was in The Star, Terrence Rhodes has passed away, his funeral is at Shiregreen Cemetry, Friday 15th August at 14.45.

The Rhodes family used to live opposite the Club on Grimesthorpe Road.

Condolences to all his family.

mike passed away a few week later

Hi brian1941 - I've mentioned this before, I remember my Dad taking me to the Little Regent (as it was called) to see the American group 'The Ink Spots'.