Heeley Memories

Hi Willy.

Yes that was what we called Skelly's walk and it was scarey at night especially if you were under the railway bridge when a train went over.

So what was he doing under a railway bridge at night your thinking ? well it only happened the once I can tell you. (and I nearly ruined another pair of trousers an all)

My Mum worked at Skeltons in the mid fifty's, and I remember her coming home very upset one day because one of the grinding wheels had broken, but I can't remember if it had badly injured or killed the man working it..

From what I could gather you sat in a saddle and had to bend over the top of the wheel he was using...

Never drank much at all round Heeley for some reason, we where always up Woodseats...

Edited by grinder

Hi Willy.

Yes that was what we called Skelly's walk and it was scarey at night especially if you were under the railway bridge when a train went over.

So what was he doing under a railway bridge at night your thinking ? well it only happened the once I can tell you. (and I nearly ruined another pair of trousers an all)

My Mum worked at Skeltons in the mid fifty's, and I remember her coming home very upset one day because one of the grinding wheels had broken, but I can't remember if it had badly injured or killed the man working it..

From what I could gather you sat in a saddle and had to bend over the top of the wheel he was using...

Never drank much at all round Heeley for some reason, we where always up Woodseats...

hiya grinder js.

i read your letter the other day,you referred to the gennel i wrote about it was not the walk past skeltons it was the passageway between the houses,the top house was the wilds and below was a mrs sayles, it was used to get to the back of their houses.

jack dose tha remember joining me in your club woodseats wmc ont dale.

Hi Ray

Harry Nowill here. I only visit this site infrequently so I've only now seen your posting.As I've lived away from Sheffield since 1958 I've lost track of anything or anybody I knew. I did once reply to a posting regarding was it Shaun and Craig Shackleton and pointed out both yours and Brians history but it seemed to go unnoticed. I'd appreciate any info you could give me about some of the boys, hopefully, most if not all are still around and kicking. Hope you are in good health as well.

Hello Harry, just been browsing some old 'Heeley Memories', and came across your thread, nearly five years old. Hope this message finds you in good health. Will reply again if I receive any more info. Your Friend Ray

Hi...I am contacting the thread on behalf of my Dad (Robert Bailey), who is looking to make contact with one of his childhood friends, or with anyone who might have any info.

My Dad's friend was Peter Woodruff, know as Pete. He was born in 1943 and lived on Thirlwell Rd @ Heeley. Pete had an older brother called Cedric and an older sister called Jean. Pete and my Dad knocked about together as children and teenagers, losing touch around 1960/61.

Any information would be most welcome. Many thanks

Hi does anybody know the were abouts of Carol and Ronnie Parkin ?

Carol Parkin born 1944 went to Heeley Bank school, as did her brother Ronnie Parkin who is a few years older. They lived Myrtle Road, opposide the cobbles on Heeley Green.

Thank you Marj Boz

Hi Willy.

Was that gennal the Scellys walk one ?

I remember once calling in pub down there that was the weirdest pub I've ever been in.

Be about late fifties / early sixty's and it was just a small terraced house front room with a bar one table and a couple of chairs. The lady went into the kitchen to pull a pint from a barrel on the kitchen table.

Was that the Moor view before it was extended ?

The pub you refer to is the Sheaf View and after standing derelict for years is now a thriving pub, it was extended because as you say the room was very small, it's now frequented by the student fraternity.

What a great site I was born in 1954 whent to Ann's Road school followed by Newfield School reading some of these posts is like a Blast from the Past . There are not a lot of people I remember but I lived on Spencer Road I remember Trevor Sugden and a girl called Janine Addy but that's about it . It is fascinating reading some of the comments .

---------- Post added 18-01-2015 at 23:26 ----------

Does anyone remember the iron smelters in Heeley I used to go down and watch them melt the metal and make things can't remember what they made !!!

Hi I was born in Spencer Road and Attended Ann's Road and Newfield . I was born in 1954 at Newfield I remember the music teacher called Pye and a crazy old woodwork teacher !!!!.

"Skellys Bridge" it is. My Mother worked at Skeltons and on my way home from school (1950's) she lowered a sandwich or a cake on a piece of string, from a high window to my friend Len & I. Happy days The tunnel after the bridge was a popular snogging place, happy nights!

Anyone interested in finding out more about Heeley there's a Facebook Group called

Heeley Past and Present . worth a look.

Hi Yids100. I think the woodwork teacher was a Mr Kyme who came to fill in when Mr Hawley had to stop teaching due to possibly epilepsy.

Where have all the heeleyites disappeared to ?. I moved in 1976. born on 'Gregory Road' in 1936, must be plenty of old timers left. Any repies