Charlton's bakery in Meersbrook

Does anyone know anything about the old Charlton's Bakery building at 39 Chesterfield Road.

I walk past it sometimes, it looks like its been empty for years & just looks derelict.

Click the link for a pic....

http://tinypic.com/r/30k38er/5

Edited by trac87
Not relevant

--------------------

Edited by amazon123

Before it was Charlton's, wasn't it Binks's Bakery?

Before it was Charlton's, wasn't it Binks's Bakery?
Yes, until about the late 1960s apparently - the directories I have show 39 Chesterfield Road as:

1905 - J.H. Tomlinson & Sons, fruiterers

1911 - Hay & Son Limited, wine & spirit merchants

1930 - Sydney Smith, decorator

1941-1966 - Sydney Binks, dairy

1970-1973 - Norton's bakery

This would make a great bakery - in the style of Forge House bakery on Abbeydale Road. Somewhere selling continental / speciality breads rather than your standard English fare. How do you find out who owns a derelict building?

Would be nice to see it open again

Looking a little...shall we say...tired?

Chesterfield Road-CharltonsBakers

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1212503

Its a while ago now but theres a comment on this thread saying that the family still own it and are doing it up

Yeah, I read that a while ago but there's been no activity for years. That stretch of road has come along nicely recently with some interesting independent eateries (a creperie, patisserie, Thali cafe, Cafe des Amis). A proper bakery would really help finish it off. I don't see the point in owning a building then leaving it to rot...

It isn't derelict, an old friend of mine inherited it from his grandfather who owned the bakery and is in the process of doing it up (has been for many years) it is turning out to be a very long process unfortunately as a lot needs doing. A lot has been done on the inside but the frontage hasnt been touched in many years.

Are they still supposed to be working on this? Nothing has changed and it's a real eyesore. The council should step in and force the owner to do something with the mess. It's a blight on the area and several people have expressed interest in putting it to good use. Just because you own something, that shouldn't give you the right to let it fall into such a state of disrepair on a busy shopping street.

Does anybody know who the owner of this building is ?