Landlords help please. What are tenants rights?

You are guaranteed that. It's an assured tenancy. So long as you don't breach the agreement it cannot be terminated early.

From here

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/content/ending-assured-shorthold-tenancy

Edit - You are also correct that you can limit the viewings. Don't be deliberately obstructive, but make it clear that 1 or 2 viewings a week is the limit as otherwise it is disruptive to you and that they must occur whilst you are there to supervise. The agency selling the house should not be given a key.

Thanks for this. I definitely wouldn't be obstructive but I think one a week is acceptable for the agents to agree to. With 3 kids and a hectic life I would struggle to commit to more than this. The problem is its the same agents handling the sale as handling the letting so they do have keys I believe.....However should I ever find out they access the property without my knowledge I would hit the roof.

Thank you for the helpful PM'S from people. Lots of interesting info and a couple of good links aswell. Sometimes SF can be a great source of help xx

Oh and the agents removed the "ready to move into" wording from the e brochure within 24 hours. So I do

Feel a little happier about things. Onwards and upwards and fingers crossed there's some landlords looking for new properties out there. Xx

Edited by Bethsmummy

Given that the stamp duty hike has now taken place, we can expect to see BTL sales have a large slump for at least a few months. Last month broke some sort of record I think as people rushed to beat the new tax change.

So 8 weeks ago my landlord had me renew another 1 year tenancy (costing me £140) since then I've spent almost £1000 having new gates fitted, decorating the lounge and tiling the kitchen. Yesterday he tells me he's putting it on the market (with me as a sitting tenant)

I have to assume the buyer could want it as a home for themselves though....in which case what are my rights as a tenant. Do the new buyers have to see out my 10 month remaining tenancy or would they have to give me the statutory 8 week notice???

Also how many viewings would be classed as an invasion of our privacy. I tried to negotiate with the agent today that I would agree to maybe 1 viewing a week. But she started umming and ahhing that should demand be high for viewings we'd have to kind of put up with it. Any ideas on my rights. Thank you in advance.

Did you pay by card or cash? If worse comes to the worse and it was paid by card there are mechanisms in place to get your money back.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 08:05 ----------

Thanks for the link mlfc. Good info x

First time I've ever paid for a renewal in 12 years renting. But that's the big letting agents for you. You don't mind if your getting 12 months assurance though. Now I'm not even guaranteed that.

Was it Blundells by any chance?

Get what money back? For the contract renewal? There are no grounds for getting any money back here.

Given that the stamp duty hike has now taken place, we can expect to see BTL sales have a large slump for at least a few months. Last month broke some sort of record I think as people rushed to beat the new tax change.

I think there might be a surge in BTL sales of cheaper houses TBH.

As obviously with the stamp duty rise the more expensive the house the more tax you're paying on it.

Cheaper house, less tax. (also less rent, but there are some areas where you can still pick up houses in the 100K region and get £500-£600 PCM rent)

Cheaper house pre-May, very much less tax. Hence there was a huge surge in April.

100k house will now attract an additional 3k in stamp duty, which takes out a years profit immediately.

I have to assume the buyer could want it as a home for themselves though....in which case what are my rights as a tenant. Do the new buyers have to see out my 10 month remaining tenancy or would they have to give me the statutory 8 week notice???

If you are in a fixed term it is as binding on the Landlord as it is on you. If the property is sold to a new Landlord they just step into the shoes of the current Landlord. Your tenure will not be affected unless by mutual agreement. Rest easy.

(Sigh) There is NO stamp duty on land/property, only on stocks/shares. The SD rate of 0.5% is unchanged.

Stamp Duty Land Tax is an entirely different tax- different in its application, rates, the lot!

See https://www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-tax/overview

Was anyone confused by calling it stamp duty, and not STLD? With regards to purchasing houses I've never heard anyone actually call it STLD.

Using the correct term doesn't alter what I said. 2nd houses, be that for BTL or any other reason, now attract an additional 3% tax on the purchase price.

I've never heard anyone actually call it STLD.

Probably because that isn't what it's called, to be fair.

It's not Sexually Transmitted Land Duty.

Get what money back? For the contract renewal? There are no grounds for getting any money back here.

There is. Through the bank. For contract renewal.