Old Fairgrounds and Circuses

Does anyone remember the various fairgrounds and circus sites in Sheffield?

I remember the following, Wadsley Bridge, Wisewood, Farm Grounds, Hillsborugh Park, Owlerton Dog Stadium car park.

The fairs were usually held on feast days and holidays with many of the famous circus and farground families coming back to the same venues year after year.

We had some great times when we were young.

Some of the sideshows were hilarious and music was always too loud but created a good atmosphere.

Happy Days!

I used to go to the fair at the Earl Marshall pub on East Bank Road, i used to love it when i was a kid.

I remember Farm Grounds, Granville Road wasn't it?..that was as a teenager, but as a child being taken by my parents, it would be at Ecclesfield.

On the corner, on the High Street, back of the cottagey chip shop on the same side of the school.

My Great Grandad lived in a cottage opposite and it was a great treat to go so I could go the the fair.:)

Remember the fair always coming to High Hazels, they used to set up the Dodgems on the tarmac circle so it was flat and then fit everything around them.

Also remember winning bottles of Pomaine(?spelling), drinking them and then throwing them back up on the rides!!!!

I remember the brilliant "Lings Funfair" at Hemsworth , opposite the Water Tower- happy days!. Loved going as a kid from late 60"s up to early 80"s but i think was stopped when Bagshaws(landowner) sold up? Also remember one on Skye Edge opposite Hyde Park flats during 80"s.

Endcliffe park used to have a massive funfair every year when I was a kid and that would be followed by the circus - which stopped when the Council changed the rules on animals. And then there was bonfire night with the massive bonfire and organised fireworks display. (dont i sound old!)

My parents told me once that there was a regular fair on the fields of Holgate Avenue, where the flats are now.

There was also a site on Wordsworth avenue, near to Remington road, I remember going to the fair there.

Quote PopT "Does anyone remember the various fairgrounds and circus sites in Sheffield?"

I was also a regular at the Farm Grounds Gala in the 40's & 50's - this was the daddy of them all.

There were fairs held in Pond Street too (in the 40's) and also below the Victoria Station aproach (left hand (Wicker)side).

A proper traditional circus used to pitch up on the spare ground on the right hand side at the top of Fitzwilliam Street (Bounded by Devonshire Street) and then moved to Norfolk Park after they stopped using wild animals.

A circus came to Oakes park at Norton the only reason I remember it was because I woke up one morning looked out of my bedroom window into a courtyard. Nothing odd so far apart from the elephants stood drinking out of the horse trough.

Funny, I don't ever remember a circus or a fairground in Sheffield.:confused:

There used to be one in Ecclesfield, alongside the old chip shop and cobblers.

Where my parents lived just off shiregreen lane there used to be a fair behind the house on the land which is now where maplecroft rd and the small surrounding estate was built.Mind you i am going back a good few years.