Little London Road, Heeley in 30's & 40's

I'm new to this forum but am hoping someone can help.

My grandmother's sister May Jewell married a Sheffield lad and lived on Little London Road, Heeley in the 1930's & 40's. Her husband was called Harry (don't know surname). I have found a marriage for a May Jewel and John Garbutt in 1924 and was wondering if they were the same couple (Harry might have been a nickname or family name).

Does anyone remember Little London Road at that time? I'm told they lived in back to back houses (they're probably not there any more). Does anyone have any old photos of that area?

My problem is that I don't know anything about my grandmother except that she was born in London (somewhere!!) and she had this sister.

I would really appreciate any help. Many thanks in advance

Sandy

Welcome to the forum Sandy :thumbsup:

Try doing a search for the Heeley History Group

Thanks carcrash - I will look at that one.

You dont say where you are located,

first port of call would be Sheffield city library to look up the electoral roll for Little London road,

there are a few addresses in business directories but not residential.

what was your grandmothers first name, someone could link her to May.

My grandmother's name was Ethel Hampton (nee Jewell). She lived in Mexborough after marrying.

I live in Doncaster so will have to make a visit to the library soon I think. As I don't know the area where Ethel & May were born I am finding it difficult to get even a birth date for them.

If I could get the father's name from the marriage certificate I could get a little further maybe.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Sandy

hi sandy, it's really interesting, isn't it, trying to research your family history. I have unearthed no end of stories about my grandparents and g-grandparents.

Little London Road still exists, but there's no housing on it, anymore, and hasn't been for as long as I can remember (which is almost 40 years). Any buildings on the road are industrial, these days, not residential. (I can tell you, however that most of that area had housing, until about 30 yrs ago, broadfield road and its environs)

I believe that the housing was razed, sometime in the late 1950s or the 60s as part of the council's redevelopment policy of clearing what were considered "slums",( particularly the back-to-back housing which was considered worse than the ordinary 2-up, 2-down terraced houses.)

hope this helps?

PT

Thanks PT.

All these little bits of info help to build up a picture of how life was back then. I remember the 2 up 2 down terraces as I lived in one but I hadn't heard of the back to back houses until recently.

Sandy

pt you are wrong there was still houses on little london rd in the 70s my ex nieghbour was living there towards the end of the 70s is when they were demolished

thanks for that, maggy irene, i stand corrected.

that was my stamping ground, and I honestly did not remember housing on there.

PT

i have a photo of me & my late brother right at the end of little london road (chesterfield rd ) from 1974 if your interested.