Supertram infrastructure

Could someone please tell us drivers not lucky enough to live anywhere near enough to make it useful to us when something is going to be done about the condition of the concrete track bed. I frequently have to use City Rd and Park Grange Rd where the track bed and surrounding road surface resembles a lunar landscape where it's impossible to avoid the many craters or the big chunks of the rubber type insulating material. I had to contact the council a few weeks ago because of a pothole causing a collision and even they didn't know who was responsible for the track but they did fill that hole later that day, but trying to complain to Supertram all you get is fill in the online complaint form which I did complaining about the track and a large pice of insulator on Park Grange Rd, I did get a response about that but not about the concrete bed. So Supertram if you're reading this get something done about it please.

I wouldn't say I was 'lucky' to live near the tram network - I chose to do so to make it useful to me :confused:

I don't know who is responsible for the maintenance, but what you describe covers most of the roads in Sheffield, tramways or not, doesn't it?!

Sheffield is one of the smaller cities I have lived in that has by far the biggest potholes.

It gives the streets an artsy Picasso style quality although lack of maintenance is not really an expression of something artistic.

Council should make some mobile app that people could use to record the location and time everyone using that app hits a pothole. They will need a big internet server for that.

Could someone please tell us drivers not lucky enough to live anywhere near enough to make it useful to us when something is going to be done about the condition of the concrete track bed.

SYPTE own the infrastructure.

They are progressing a bid to the governments Local Large Major Projects fund to pay for refurbishing trackbed on the whole network. Bidding for that amount of money is a long process. First stage (outline business case) should be complete next year. If it meets Department for Transport's criteria, they then have to do a full business case. If (and it isn't certain) bid is successful, works starting in 2019 onward I'd guess.

When the tracks were relaid repairs were also made to the bits you describe and it seems its mainly those repairs that have failed. The resin that the tracks are embedded in has also come away in several places and in one place in particular it had pieces of chippings pushed into the resin as well. It should be that the contractors who relaid the rails come back and fix these problems at their expense.

Unfortunately the concrete pontoons that were originally laid have also deteriorated and in many places cracked completely across. If they have to be replaced then it will mean some major works and a great deal of disruption to follow.

Most of Sheffield is in a worser state so i wouldn't worry