Coal man delivering coal in sacks

Just saw a photo on Facebook of a coal lorry with the sacks of coal being delivered

Do they still exist?

Yes,but usually its plastic sacks,Wesley Nichols at wadsley bridge are still trading,logs,coke and smokeless.

Saw coal lorry delivering only yesterday in Worksop by Dixon's in hessian sacks

Saw coal lorry delivering only yesterday in Worksop by Dixon's in hessian sacks

A Mr Hague in Wharncliffe Side. still delivers coal in the North of Sheffield, in sacks what there made of dont no.

When you had coal dropped down,t coyal oyal you had to keep a sharp eye on some of the merchants!.According to them there were nineteen hundredweights to a ton,less sometimes!.In later years they displayed and used weight scales on the lorries because of this problem but you had to watch some of them not all just the wide boys!.

Two old ladies, who are neighbours of mine, still have Parkray stoves burning solid fuel and regularly have deliveries made in hessian sacks. Gone are the days when a full sized lorry used to come however: nowadays it's a small flatback Transit truck.

echo.

This was a common sight in our street until my neighbour died last year because he was a retired miner and heated his house with coal. This was the only house in our street that I ever saw using the coal hole for its intended purpose!

Mine has been used variously for running in a water supply when the mains were in the process of being replaced, getting the sleepers for my work bench down into the cellar and a whole load of other things, but not for coal in the last 25 years.

This was a common sight in our street until my neighbour died last year because he was a retired miner and heated his house with coal. This was the only house in our street that I ever saw using the coal hole for its intended purpose!

Mine has been used variously for running in a water supply when the mains were in the process of being replaced, getting the sleepers for my work bench down into the cellar and a whole load of other things, but not for coal in the last 25 years.

We didn't have a cellar, our coal was delivered in a big pile at the backs of our houses, when I lived with my grandparents in the 50's. Grandad was a miner so we got a load delivered every month. I used to help him shovel it into barrow loads to take down the long path to the coalhouse. One Summer I went once or twice a week to the main line sidings above Orgreave coking plant and help load local coal lorries from the rail cars., with a few mates.

Those were the days, we had cellars and my mum always left me in charge

with it, i use to white wash the walls twice a year - chop fire wood and take

the tin bath up/down, when coalman was due i use to give the floor a good

sweep and put all the loose slack coal a one side to. Come handy to put on fire

at bedtime to keep a low fire for when we got up next morning, loverly

warm room in winter. Good old days

My dad was a coylie back in the 50's! He used to drop t'coyl dahn t'oyl :D:D:D

Biggsy :)

Saw a battered old Transit in Heeley the other day the back of it was full of coal sacks,they did look plastic sacks though.

Yes,but usually its plastic sacks,Wesley Nichols at wadsley bridge are still trading,logs,coke and smokeless.

Yes we still use the 50kg hessian sacks along with the 25kg plastic sacks.