2016 - 2017 Play Offs

I know they are not everyone's favourite and possibly harsh on 3rd place, and as a Blade have felt the pain in the past. :( But I do love the excitement of the Play Offs.

Unlikely and be a bit of a disaster if the Blades only make playoffs this season, and I do think we will have just enough in hand to see off Fleetwood who are on an amazing run. Having said that I would have been happy to see the play off stigma put to bed but that would be very nervy.

So looks like Wednesday will provide the PO excitement. I do think they will make it, even though for a lot of the time they have been less than convincing.

Interesting that Weds have 2 derbies to come - both away - at Barnsley and Rotherham (no Warnock factor this time) and even more interesting that they have Fulham last match, who will likely be after a PO place. (Big game for Fulham this Saturday).

My prediction (has been for a while) is Huddersfield v Weds in the play off final.

Preferences and passions aside, tense and exiting weeks ahead for Sheffield football.

The Warnock factor comes in still albeit not a derby, when we play Cardiff at home....

I've said for most of this season it will be Wednesday Leeds in the final. I would HATE that but if someone offered it me now I'd snap their hands off

I hate repeating myself but it,s Reading 1-3 Owls a JR hat trick and no It should go to third place, another money spinner for the F.A., BUT I,LL TAKE IT THIS TIME.

I think it will be newcastle who will beat leeds in the final

Well i said it was a big game for Fulham Saturday, and now they can leapfrog Wednesday with the game in hand.

Really cannot believe Wednesday's inconsistency. Fulham not lost in 7 games and now got Blackburn and Wolves at home and Rotherham away.

Perhaps the 6th place battle will be Reading - Wednesday with both teams almost identical form over the last 10 games. And you 2 playing each other Friday, what a crucial game that could turn out to be.

---------- Post added 15-03-2017 at 09:07 ----------

So the Blades keep an 8 point gap between them and second. Albeit letting in 2 goals at 2 up, again vulnerable just after half time.

Wednesday get a huge let off when on loan from Wednesday Lucas Joao gets a last minute equalizer for Blackburn. Fulham must be kicking themselves 60% possession but couldn't make it pay.

Again looking like any 2 from 3 for the Championship bottom 2 play off places. Although looking at Leeds upcoming fixtures they could be dragged back into the mix.

---------- Post added 18-03-2017 at 09:08 ----------

Well wasn't expecting that last night, neither Wednesday losing or Huddersfield getting a proper and deserved drubbing. Play-Off drama continues, watch this space.

Blades chance to consolidate at the top today and expected to win, but we all know how that can turn out.

---------- Post added 18-03-2017 at 20:44 ----------

Well the Blades march on with another win, but weathered an early storm from Charlton who began very lively. They also put us under pressure in the last 10 mins or so but couldn't find a way through.

Wednesday get another let off courtesy of Fulham losing at home. But Leeds win and open up a 7 point gap over 6th place. 24 points to play for and 6th place looking to be a battle between Wednesday and Fulham.

---------- Post added 21-03-2017 at 10:31 ----------

No Sheffield action tonight but Oxford can do the Blades a big favour and beat Bolton. Oxford win or even a draw will cancel out Bolton's game in hand and bring the title a huge step nearer.

---------- Post added 22-03-2017 at 09:10 ----------

Bit of pressure from Bolton now for the Blades, but still in our own hands. All L1 top 3 playing away on Saturday, be interesting at 5 o'clock see how it develops.

We need 15 points from 24 for certain promotion.

No game for Wednesday due to internationals, so maybe a chance for some injuries to heal.

Edited by blackydog

Huge step towards the championship for United against the 'wall. Fleetwood 13 behind and far worse GD with 21 points left for them to play for. Plays-offs guaranteed with 6 games left.

Wednesday got Barnsley on Saturday with Fulham at Rotherham, Barnsley likely to fight tooth and nail not to give the owls anything. Be a huge slip up for Fulham if they don't get full points against rovrum.

What does stand out is Wednesday have only +9 GD compared with the top 2 on 38 and 30. That forward line of Forestieri, Winall and Rhodes need to start earning their keep.

---------- Post added 06-04-2017 at 09:39 ----------

Well Blades virtually guaranteed second now, 3 more points will clinch promotion. For the title we are 6 points ahead of Bolton with 15 points to play for. We have a 5 GD advantage so if we can maintain that 9 points is required.

Owls back in last PO position and Preston (who I thought would have been closer anyway) and Derby making a late charge. See Owls have Derby to play yet, could be interesting especially with the lottery of which Owls team will turn up.

Edited by blackydog