Anybody seen 'I Daniel Blake?'

I was just wondering if many people have seen Ken Loach's latest film, 'I, Daniel Blake'

What a brilliant film. It has won this year's Palm d'Or at Cannes film Festival, yet we had quite a job tracking it down as it is only on limited release. We finally got to see it at the Showroom Cinema.

IMO everyone should make a point of seeing it. Very moving and most of all informative about the farce that is our current benefit system. Also plenty of wry Northern humour.

I suspect, however, it was preaching to the converted as those hard line right wingers will never go to see it in a million years, although they are the ones who need to see it most.

A notice board has been set up with post-it notes available for people to write their comments, and there were so many there was hardly a space left.

The comments alone, were so telling and should be read...

Please go and see it.

I was just wondering if many people have seen Ken Loach's latest film, 'I, Daniel Blake'

What a brilliant film. It has won this year's Palm d'Or at Cannes film Festival, yet we had quite a job tracking it down as it is only on limited release. We finally got to see it at the Showroom Cinema.

IMO everyone should make a point of seeing it. Very moving and most of all informative about the farce that is our current benefit system. Also plenty of wry Northern humour.

I suspect, however, it was preaching to the converted as those hard line right wingers will never go to see it in a million years, although they are the ones who need to see it most.

A notice board has been set up with post-it notes available for people to write their comments, and there were so many there was hardly a space left.

The comments were so telling and should be read...

Please go and see it.

Sadly the demonisation of benefit recipients is stronger now than ever and so even if the right wingers did go to see it, they wouldn't get it.

I'd give it an 8. So well made, casted and acted. The scene in the food bank had people gasping and sobbing when I went...and there was a spontaneous round of applause at the end.

Edited by Detetcive

I really want to see this film. Planning to watch it at the Showroom early next week.

I really want to see this film. Planning to watch it at the Showroom early next week.

Please let us know what you think of it.

I don't see why some of our big multiscreen places aren't showing this.

I agree. I noticed in the credits it was made/funded (?) partly by the BBC. I hope they show it eventually on TV for a much bigger audience.

They probably dont see any commercial incentive for showing it.

I dont put down the welll made, well acted and the message within IDB but, is it a populist money making movie OR is it realistically just propaganda against the Government and their current actions towards benefits claimants.

Harsh as it sounds, I can see why this movie is only shown in selected cinemas.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I am waiting to see it at our local independent cinema in Wirksworth, Derbyshire. Holding only 56, it's a great venue for group talks about films in general, so I am eager to see it there instead of a large complex like Cineworld.

See it at The Showroom ... details and trailer, here;

http://www.showroomworkstation.org.uk/i-daniel-blake

They probably dont see any commercial incentive for showing it.

I dont put down the welll made, well acted and the message within IDB but, is it a populist money making movie OR is it realistically just propaganda against the Government and their current actions towards benefits claimants.

Harsh as it sounds, I can see why this movie is only shown in selected cinemas.

I know what you mean which is why I hope they show it on the telly.

Incidently, a serious question regarding propaganda status, if something is telling the truth, and many will testify that this is, is it propaganda?

Incidently, a serious question regarding propaganda status, if something is telling the truth, and many will testify that this is, is it propaganda?

It will end up on channel 4 by the middle of next year - I'd be surprised if they hadn't funded it in some way - they fund a lot of British films.

I have watched the trailer on IMDb. Whilst I agree that it's a film that needs making on of the things to come out of the trailer I saw was that this poor carpenter down on his luck couldn't operate a PC. Really? Really and truly? It's stuff like that, trying so hard to labour a point, that puts me off handing over my hard earned.

Yes of course it is.

It may well be based upon many truths and many agreed failures in the system but the fact remains it is still a work of written fiction by a writer with a clear and defined agenda.

Its filled with artistic interpretation, exaggeration and a modified dialogue of events in order to condense someone's entire life period into a 90 minute movie.

I repeat again, I am not denying any truth to the subject, but the fact is ANY dramatisation of events will be subject to enhancement, poetic licence and editorial.

Its a movie not a documentary. It doesnt have any balanced viewpoint. It doesnt have any right of reply from the opposing side.

What else would you call it other than propaganda.

Propaganda = information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.

Ken Loach has hardly been quiet in his views on the government nor the welfare system. Its also absolutely clear where his political leanings are.

When that famous 1997 epic was released nobody was denying that the Titanic sinking wasn't a real life event but it doesnt mean that the rest of the 3 hour borefest was absolutely 100% true and accurate facts.

Edited by ECCOnoob

It will end up on channel 4 by the middle of next year - I'd be surprised if they hadn't funded it in some way - they fund a lot of British films.

I have watched the trailer on IMDb. Whilst I agree that it's a film that needs making on of the things to come out of the trailer I saw was that this poor carpenter down on his luck couldn't operate a PC. Really? Really and truly? It's stuff like that, trying so hard to labour a point, that puts me off handing over my hard earned.

Yes, really and truly.

I don't know how old you are, Tfh, but I know quite a lot of people over 50 who have no time for computers, and go out of their way to avoid them.

They are too old to have experienced them at school, and if they've spent a lifetime in an occupation that didn't use them, then they will have had very little experience of them, unless they have made a point of learning how. (Ever seen a person from this group trying to type at 1 letter a minute?) Tellingly they tend not to have children to help them. A lot are afraid of them even in this day and age. If they simply have to use them for something they will get someone else to do it for them. You'd be surprised.

According to government figures 11% of adults have never used the internet, and nearly double that have not used the internet for more than 3 months.

Also computers and broadband can be relatively expensive for the low waged/unemployed, and computers in libraries (those that are still open...) are frequently out of use or faulty. Not sure about job centres, but I imagine they're probably the same.

I'm pretty rubbish on computers myself and can only do fairly basic stuff. If anything goes wrong I'm stuck. I spend quite a lot of time swearing at it. I don't own a smart phone, and I frequently forget my mobile when I go out, and if I do remember, it's probably not charged up anyway.

My Dad on the other hand is a whiz on the computer. He didn't get one until 2010, and now uses it every day and he loves it. But he's in his 90s... Takes all sorts.

Edited by Anna B