Whitsuntide traditions

Only knew of the thread myself due a Google search heh.

It was clothes when I was a kid, not cloths :rolleyes:

I found this thread after telling my hubby about the Whitsuntide tradition of new clothes from underwear upwards. I have always lived in leeds as he has but he didn't have this tradition in his family. We used to always have a new dress, new duster coat, hat, handbag and shoes and yes we would go to all the neighbours in the street and get money for showing off our Whitsy clothes. As has been said I don't know how mum afforded it for the 4 of us but she did every year. I can't remember when this tradition disappeared. We did this in the late 50's into the early 60's. Can anyone else remember duster coats?

Yes, I remember duster coats, they splayed out from just under the bust. Always came in pastel shades. Very Doris Day!! I don`t know how they got their name but can only imagine it was because when you turned quickly in them you dusted everything around you.

Haha you could be right, but I loved those coats and the petticoat under the dress made it all stick out.

New clothes and getting coins from the neighbours when you showed them off. Who remembers the Whit Sings, in my case going to the one in Firth Park, and then the excitement of the Star Walk on Whit Tuesday, when hundreds lined the route. Who took part in that?

I have photo of a friend and I wearing our duster coats. What a sight! We also wore rope sandels, a Robin Hood hat and carried an envelope bag! Circa 1958!! Not to be shared!

Here is a photo of Reform Chapel group at Whit Sing in Firth Park; Amy & Charlie Wise, Dora Reynolds, Ken Morris, Bessie Cusworth, George Hewitt & others can be seen centre left. Kath Lynch just in front of banner pole. Early 1950's.

park2.jpg

Edited by johnpm

Hi Johnpm, Thanks For Putting that picture on here - loverly memories,

i was able to pick the few faces i knew myself and spotted a couple

i knew from my district. How times have change where did it go - why did

did it go. Had a walk round Grimesthorpe this sunday, did pass the

Reform Chaple and liked the daffodils at the main front door drive way. Brian.

Hi Johnpm, Thanks For Putting that picture on here - loverly memories,

i was able to pick the few faces i knew myself and spotted a couple

i knew from my district. How times have change where did it go - why did

did it go. Had a walk round Grimesthorpe this sunday, did pass the

Reform Chaple and liked the daffodils at the main front door drive way. Brian.

Hi Brian, I keep in touch with Reform Chapel people & went to morning service a couple of years ago. Sad that they are down to about 10/12 or so in congregation I think. Amazing that they have kept it going so long though & its in good condition. It's changed a lot since our day with way through from chapel building direct to hall with extra toilets. About 60% of people who go travel from other side of town. John

I couldn't resist adding a little to this thread as the memories of Whitsuntide remain very detailed, precious and strong.

My father, Sydney (Sid) Thompson, used to do a great deal to organise the Sings in Firth Park being, as he was, an official for the area of the old Sheffield Sunday School Union at Montgomery Hall. He would always rise very early to see what the weather was doing as, if wet a decision had to be made as to whether the festivities must be held indoors. We marched in our new clothes from Low Shiregreen Methodist Church to Firth Park, led by the Boys' Brigade band, life boys (of which I was one)or else i could be found persuading local residents who came to their doors to put something in the collection boxes. The Sunday School Queen and her attendants followed on the back of a B&C Co-op milk lorry with the infants also seated there and the older children and congregation walking behind. Fortunately, it never seemed to rain (although I'm sure it sometimes did!). If memory serves me correctly I believe there were over thirty churches represented in the park and the crowds were up to the railings. My father is long gone but i know how much it would sadden him to know that this tradition is no more and that the church we attended has gone.

My nan used to knit me some jeans and a new shirt at Whitsuntide