Town today.. man drunk?

Anyone been in town today? There was a man who I'm assuming was off his head, shouting the IRA are coming to town! Security actually crossed the road to avoid him!

Right good they're doing.. not

only one drunk????

Yes, 3pm I wouldn't expect to see many.

Do you not visit West Street at all?

I have the misfortune to park off there, and all I see walking up is drunks, at every time of day. Outside Tesco there is basically an outdoor squat of about 10 of them, hassling passers by. Go down to Devonshire Green and it's the same.

There's drunks everywhere in Sheffield!

(I appreciate before anyone gets pedantic that they aren't 'everywhere' per se, but there are lots!)

No, I never go on west Street or Devonshire green, just on the moor, or up near marks and Spencers.

I remember seeing a few when I did drink, but was mainly always at night.

No, I never go on west Street or Devonshire green, just on the moor, or up near marks and Spencers.

I remember seeing a few when I did drink, but was mainly always at night.

You're lucky! :)

Seriously, there are dozens. Literally. Street drinking is the new fashion it seems. It's overtaking those crazy pipe things that people are smoking that release plumes of awful smelling smoke (sorry vapour).

I do admit, I vape! Stopped me smelling of cigs so that's one good thing.

Back on subject though, I see more around manor top and intake than town.

I do admit, I vape! Stopped me smelling of cigs so that's one good thing.

Back on subject though, I see more around manor top and intake than town.

If you want an experience, just go to the Tesco on West Street around 3pm. It's what I'd call a cultural enlightening! From there, walk up the top of Glossop Road, near the Harley, then drop back down.

You'll hear language you didn't know existed, and wonder like I do just how these people afford Special Brew when it's about £8 for four cans.

To be honest when I'm in town I'd rather have a good old fashioned drunk hurling abuse and threats to all and sundry, than the blanket swaddled, sad eyed dog "loving", pseudo homeless asking for spare change that now seem to inhabit every town center doorway.

Edited by Odd-jobs

To be honest I'd rather have a good old fashioned drunk hurling abuse at all and sundry, than the blanket swaddled, sad eyed dog "loving", pseudo homeless asking for spare change that now seem to inhabit every town center doorway.

Lots of the pseudo homeless who are all actually living in hostels on benefits ! Saw a pensioner put money in ones cap. When the pensioner had passed the pseudo homeless one pulled out his mobile phone to phone someone ! How can he afford a mobile phone .??

Both the council and the charities supporting these individuals admit that the majority of those asking for money on the streets do have access to accommodation and meals.

The majority are sadly battling with addiction, and I am empathetic to the awful state of health many of these people are in. I know parting with cash only feeds the addiction and does nothing to help the circumstances of that individual.

There was a campaign launched in Sheffield called 'Help us Help' which encourages members of the public to assist the charities with helping these individuals rather than giving cash directly to those begging for money.

Campaign video:

Lots of the pseudo homeless who are all actually living in hostels on benefits ! Saw a pensioner put money in ones cap. When the pensioner had passed the pseudo homeless one pulled out his mobile phone to phone someone ! How can he afford a mobile phone .??

I recall a report from the Council (sorry I can't locate the link) which suggested there were about 15 homeless people in Sheffield.

If those begging are truly homeless, I have just this minute walked past 6 of those 18 in the very short distance from All Bar One to the Tesco on Church street (300metres?). I saw at least another 4 on Division Street whilst walking to the car around 3pm, and 3 more on West Street, near the Tesco.

I'm not sure where the other two were.

Or, either the report was rubbish, or those begging weren't homeless as you say. I suspect both of those suggestions are accurate.

I recall a report from the Council (sorry I can't locate the link) which suggested there were about 15 homeless people in Sheffield.

If those begging are truly homeless, I have just this minute walked past 6 of those 18 in the very short distance from All Bar One to the Tesco on Church street (300metres?). I saw at least another 4 on Division Street whilst walking to the car around 3pm, and 3 more on West Street, near the Tesco.

I'm not sure where the other two were.

Or, either the report was rubbish, or those begging weren't homeless as you say. I suspect both of those suggestions are accurate.

The Sheffield police told people last year not to give these beggars money as they are " not homeless and are on benefits" . In one city a " beggar" was even secretly followed back to his car !!