RIP Chuck Berry..

He wasnt perfect far from it, none of us are. he was locked up for numerous things armed robebbery, tax evasion, weed doesnt take the fact away that he was a legend tho, music would be vastly different without him.

He wasnt perfect far from it, none of us are. he was locked up for numerous things armed robebbery, tax evasion, weed doesnt take the fact away that he was a legend tho, music would be vastly different without him.

You are right on the money, good post.

---------- Post added 19-03-2017 at 10:46 ----------

Watched bits of a London concert from the late seventies., a few months back. He opened with a long version of Roll Over Beethoven. After the applause died down , he said "Thank you very much, just thought I'd start you off with a little Beatles song", while grinning from ear to ear LOL What a cool, funny guy.:cool:

You are right on the money, good post.

---------- Post added 19-03-2017 at 10:46 ----------

Watched bits of a London concert from the late seventies., a few months back. He opened with a long version of Roll Over Beethoven. After the applause died down , he said "Thank you very much, just thought I'd start you off with a little Beatles song", while grinning from ear to ear LOL What a cool, funny guy.:cool:

yeah if i remember right, the whole first 4 or so Rolling Stones albums are almost all covers (Chuck, Muddy Waters, Howling wolf etc) it wasnt till say Aftermath (1966)? when they started doing almost wholly their own with the odd cover

Does anyone remember seeing him at the openair festival in Buxton summer 1973 I think my ding a ling had just been in the charts?

Lol, I thought My Dingaling was a load of rubbish but it made him a lot of bread. :)

I read somewhere that he always insisted on being paid in cash before he would go on stage.

I read that he demanded that too (along with Pele and his Santos pals) Did I see Chuck at the Fiesta or I dreamt that ?

my dingaling will always be etched in my mind tho as a song i always remember mi dad playing us as kids lol, along with Thw Who - Boris the spider, The Beatles - Octopuses garden and Napolean XIV - theyre coming to take me away hahaha

no wonder im warped Oo

I still have a great cassette, Live in London, by Chuck, he had the audience participating in the dingaling song , it was hilarious. He ended up with a a version of Reeling and Rocking, with dirty verses. The crowd wouldn't leave, chanting Chuck, Chuck...... The manager was going ballistic on stage trying to get the crowd to leave. Apparently a whole new audience were outside waiting to see Pink Floyd. All the chanting and yelling are on the tape lol

Chuck Berry defined Rock and Roll guitar in a massive way and influenced everyone that came after him. I think it's fair to say that his licks have been copied by more guitarists than any other player in Rock and Roll.

Chuck Berry certainly influenced a lot of artists, was often modest about that influence, and also open about

I can’t help thinking about one of Tommy Cooper’s old visual gags:

TC arrives on stage wearing a Basque-style beret (instead of his trademark fez). Holding it up to the audience he announces: “Beret!”. He then throws the hat stage left. “Chuck beret”. [Ok, ok, you'd have to see Cooper doing it.]