M1 road works almost completed

Hi all will the 50mph speed limit be enforced after the roadworks are complete?

Im sure there was something on the news that they have now got to reevaluate whats happening with the M1 before further works can go ahead so.from 25 on wards may not happen yet!

Well they have put average speed cameras in place and all notices are out around j25

---------- Post added 24-03-2017 at 18:32 ----------

Hi all will the 50mph speed limit be enforced after the roadworks are complete?

It will go to a variable speed limit so as long as there are no incidents it will be 70 mph

May have already got cameras up but the government have only just changed there mind this week

been on today i wont give it a week before there is a major accident

The thing thats annoying me the most is that drivers are still sitting in the middle two lanes blocking the inside lane.Makes the four lane system useless if muffins are just going to get in the second lane and stay there.I got one last saturday sat doing sixty in the second lane meaning i had to move across two lanes to get past them.

Have to say I totally agree with you. People are confused with three lanes, four just completely bamboozle's them.

Guest sibon
WHAT? I must dash out and buy a sofa immediately....Gets coat

The good news is that it is double discount weekend.

The bad news is that you need to use the M1 to get there.

The thing thats annoying me the most is that drivers are still sitting in the middle two lanes blocking the inside lane.Makes the four lane system useless if muffins are just going to get in the second lane and stay there.I got one last saturday sat doing sixty in the second lane meaning i had to move across two lanes to get past them.

When in the evenings I come back from work down this new variable speed limit M1 stretch (J35a-34) I always drive in the left hand lane (what's been a hard shoulder before). And I drive faster that the cars in the 2nd or 3rd lanes because it's nearly always empty! I do not understand why the drivers (apart from a very few lorries) do not use this new lane? Are they still thinking it's a hard shoulder or what? :huh:

When in the evenings I come back from work down this new variable speed limit M1 stretch (J35a-34) I always drive in the left hand lane (what's been a hard shoulder before). And I drive faster that the cars in the 2nd or 3rd lanes because it's nearly always empty! I do not understand why the drivers (apart from a very few lorries) do not use this new lane? Are they still thinking it's a hard shoulder or what? :huh:

It could be because the motorway splits there so if your going south you might as well stay in second lane instead of having to try to get over to second lane again when you get near j34

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 15:27 ----------

Im sure there was something on the news that they have now got to reevaluate whats happening with the M1 before further works can go ahead so.from 25 on wards may not happen yet!

Trust me the said works are happening ,cameras are now live ,lanes have been narrowed and temp barrier put in place and I can bet it won't take the 18 months they are advertising more like 3 years if j28-36 is anything to go by

It could be because the motorway splits there so if your going south you might as well stay in second lane instead of having to try to get over to second lane again when you get near j34

Em-m-m...

"Rule 264. You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past."

It's a 5-6 mile drive before this left hand lane leads off M1 at J34. Plenty of time to change lanes if you head south I believe... I always wonder if the "middle-lane drivers" notice at all that someone to the left drives faster than them and what's the reason for that?

I use it regularly, both in the morning and the evening.

In the morning from J36 South it's still 3 lanes, which only open up to four lanes at the next sliproad onto the motorway (is it 35a?). So it kinda leaves you stuck in the second lane of 4, especially if there are HGV's joining at that point who automatically occupy the first lane. Then there's a couple more sliproad junctions onto the motorway in pretty short succession, so it's often best to remain in that second lane and just keep up with traffic to allow new joiners to filter onto the first lane. It's only when the signs for J34 (Meadowhall) and the white lines get shorter (indicating the turnoff filter lane) that you need to get in the first lane. This lane can sometimes be crawling at a snails pace for some odd reason (dependent upon the time of day).

IOn the journey home, I get on the M1 at Catcliffe J33? and make my way North...Basically you 'have' to get into the second lane almost straight away, or you find yourself stranded in the filter lane to get off at J34 to Tinsley....

.....I digress....I note the M1 going across the Top deck of Tinsley viaduct is now 3 lanes? I was under the impression this wasn't allowed due to an EU directive in regard to weight?

Although originally designed to carry 6 lanes, during the strengthening work the M1 was permanently reduced to 4 lanes following an EU directive on load bearing capacity to allow for the introduction of 40-ton trucks in the UK. This arrangement allows the third lane in each direction to join from Junction 34 to make the very busy junction safer.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsley_Viaduct

.....Anyway...Once you've crossed the viaduct, you come across the Northbound M1 traffic from J34 joining the motorway to make the 1st of the 4 lane stretch...and once again, you're kinda stuck in the (now) second lane. It's all too often like wacky races trying to move across into the first lane...One junction and you're then on the filter lane to take you off to Manchester, so you have to abandon the first lane to get on the second to go straight on.

So I don't really agree with those who say second lane hoggers are a nuisance. It's just the logistics of the road layout.

I use it regularly, both in the morning and the evening.

In the morning from J36 South it's still 3 lanes, which only open up to four lanes at the next sliproad onto the motorway (is it 35a?). So it kinda leaves you stuck in the second lane of 4, especially if there are HGV's joining at that point who automatically occupy the first lane. Then there's a couple more sliproad junctions onto the motorway in pretty short succession, so it's often best to remain in that second lane and just keep up with traffic to allow new joiners to filter onto the first lane. It's only when the signs for J34 (Meadowhall) and the white lines get shorter (indicating the turnoff filter lane) that you need to get in the first lane. This lane can sometimes be crawling at a snails pace for some odd reason (dependent upon the time of day).

IOn the journey home, I get on the M1 at Catcliffe J33? and make my way North...Basically you 'have' to get into the second lane almost straight away, or you find yourself stranded in the filter lane to get off at J34 to Tinsley....

.....I digress....I note the M1 going across the Top deck of Tinsley viaduct is now 3 lanes? I was under the impression this wasn't allowed due to an EU directive in regard to weight?

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsley_Viaduct

.....Anyway...Once you've crossed the viaduct, you come across the Northbound M1 traffic from J34 joining the motorway to make the 1st of the 4 lane stretch...and once again, you're kinda stuck in the (now) second lane. It's all too often like wacky races trying to move across into the first lane...One junction and you're then on the filter lane to take you off to Manchester, so you have to abandon the first lane to get on the second to go straight on.

So I don't really agree with those who say second lane hoggers are a nuisance. It's just the logistics of the road layout.

That Pete is what I was trying to put across only you have worded it much better