Downsizing - but where to go??

You make some good points on access to services. However, much depends upon the personality of the downsizer. I know Hillsborough very well but don't go there very often. Last year I visited the area and I was struck by how crowded, noisy and congested it was. Although of a similar age to yourself I do not think I could cope with it, despite the benefits which you describe. Would prefer somewhere with space to breath and forgo the conveniences. Decisions such as the OP describes need to be thought about carefully, taking into consideration likes/dislikes. Of the aforementioned Handsworth estate, it looks nice but the bungalows are interspersed with houses and this can create a feeling of being overlooked.

You make some good points on access to services. However, much depends upon the personality of the downsizer. I know Hillsborough very well but don't go there very often. Last year I visited the area and I was struck by how crowded, noisy and congested it was. Although of a similar age to yourself I do not think I could cope with it, despite the benefits which you describe. Would prefer somewhere with space to breath and forgo the conveniences. Decisions such as the OP describes need to be thought about carefully, taking into consideration likes/dislikes. Of the aforementioned Handsworth estate, it looks nice but the bungalows are interspersed with houses and this can create a feeling of being overlooked.

Overlooked really most of the bungalows have a field at the back with nothing on them :loopy:

Parking is going to be the main issue in the future make sure you buy somewere with private parking for at least 3 cars. Keep away from all this zone permit parking issue

Edited by spider1

Absolutely. I like having places to go, and I grew up in a city, so I don't mind the bustle. Fortunately my street is quite quiet, and it doesnt take long to head out of Hillsborough to some beautiful countryside. Our bungalow backed on to a field, but the land was sold to builders and then we had large houses at a higher level than our garden.

We should think about what we need as we age before it becomes a necessity. Too many people in unsuitable housing leads to bed blocking, and older people moving into care homes prematurely. One of the best ideas, IMO, is Extra Care Housing, which offers accessible, independent flats (and bungalows in some instances) but has support available if and when necessary. As we age, we may not want the hassle/expense of property maintenance or the upkeep of a garden.

You make a good point here. If you can, far better to think ahead and make your own informed housing choices before you end up being forced into a situation you wouldn't have ideally wanted. Like most things in life!

Dennis didn't bother downsizing. :)

No indeed he didnt / Last saw him a few years ago at pitsmoor said he had been to see his son Andrew who was living there. :hihi: