Brown Bayleys 1960,s staff

These are some of the electrical staff that worked at Brown Bayleys in the 1960,s before my memory goes completely.I,ll start with the East works department which was where the Don Valley Bowl is now.Jack Malloy (chargehand),Tommy Street,Lou Adshead,Eric Grocock ,Phillip,Ray,Bill (killed in a fall around 1963).

Remember all those, Jack was a gentleman, collar and tie, polished brown brogues,one of the last of the old school tradesmen. Spent a few months up at east works, did my first stint on shifts with those guys. That was an experience

because they were all characters ? had some funny memories of my time up at east works thanks for that biker.

Remember all those, Jack was a gentleman, collar and tie, polished brown brogues,one of the last of the old school tradesmen. Spent a few months up at east works, did my first stint on shifts with those guys. That was an experience

because they were all characters ? had some funny memories of my time up at east works thanks for that biker.

Do you remember any of the surnames that I missed or any other names.?They were all good guys and looked after the apprentices.I did probably 6 months there when I was about 16.I used to crawl in almost asleep and sit on the bench at 07.30.Then somebody like Eric or Phil would come in and push my head between my legs starting a fight.Eric liked wrestling and Phil boxing.The fitters were below us in the steel cabin and didnt like the noise.Poor old Lou Adshead was very deaf and I remember Tommy Street throwing a big steel block behind him to make him jump.Lou never flinched but the fitters below went mad when their light bulb flew out.I was sent to the East works dept when big Bill fell off a roof and was killed.I replaced the apprentice who was holding the ladder called Les Cousins.Strangely we had an older electrician called Les Cousins who was killed in a fall in the 1970,s.

I was an apprentice from 71. When I did my stint at the East Works Tommy Street was in charge and they were stil in the upstairs cabin. Struggling to remember thr other guys names but one of the tricians mates was a guy called Jim from Rotherham. Remember one day I came in offs job to find he had polished my motorbike boots so well I could see my face in them.the name Les Cousins seems to ring a bell.

I was an apprentice from 71. When I did my stint at the East Works Tommy Street was in charge and they were stil in the upstairs cabin. Struggling to remember thr other guys names but one of the tricians mates was a guy called Jim from Rotherham. Remember one day I came in offs job to find he had polished my motorbike boots so well I could see my face in them.the name Les Cousins seems to ring a bell.

We used to clean the roof lights by dipping them in the nearby acid vats.One day I forgot and when I pulled the light out it was just the glass left.I was there 1963-1970.Jack Malloy was a good guy. An apprentice called Alec Froggart was bragging about how fast he could run.Jack got fed up with his bragging and said he would race him on that long straight at side of the electricians cabin.Alec kept saying how much start he would give Jack.Jack was probably in his sixties then.Jack said just start 3 yards behind me.The race was set for a Saturday morning and I wasnt working.Alec had his running gear.Jack had his overalls ,jacket and boots on.They marched to the end of the straight near the steam lorry garage.Jack backed up to the 10 foot high wall and said get 3 yards behing me!!!!!!.Ray was an electricians mate there.I saw him about 15 years ago and he had a buisiness making safes called Xray. Great days.I,ll post some main electrical department names later.

Heres some of Elect apprentices of the 60s I remember. Graham Fieldsend he was severely injured when he fell from a crane and survived ,we both got married on the same day.

Pat Molloney, Mick Gill, Stuart Elliot, Stuart Casson, Chris Mullins, Les Cousins. Dave Asquith. and I think biker is Stuart B. We had a lot more apps than that but my memories a bit fuzzy now, we worked in some unpleasant conditions but we did have a lorra fun tho.

Heres some of Elect apprentices of the 60s I remember. Graham Fieldsend he was severely injured when he fell from a crane and survived ,we both got married on the same day.

Pat Molloney, Mick Gill, Stuart Elliot, Stuart Casson, Chris Mullins, Les Cousins. Dave Asquith. and I think biker is Stuart B. We had a lot more apps than that but my memories a bit fuzzy now, we worked in some unpleasant conditions but we did have a lorra fun tho.

Stuart Casson was the Elecrical training gaffer when I started. I knew Graham Fieldsend,Chris Mullins and Pat Maloney,I'm fact Iwas talking to Pat on here a few weeks ago along withMalc Stuart. Gaffers names I remember were Dennis Merry,Albert Hunt, Keith Clixby and Len Milsom

My dad worked at Brown Bayleys up to his premature death in 1967 - Leonard Theaker - but not sure which Dept

I was supposed to be working with Graham Fieldsend on a Saturday morning pulling a cable up the wall over the roof and back down the other side.Graham was about 18 and I was about 17.I got took off the job to help Arthur Smith drop an heavy oil tank on another job.I happened to be in our shop when news came in of Grahams fall.We rushed over and I thought that he was dead.I remember the nurse saying that he had fallen 35 feet.They had a ladder on the crane span up to the purlings.Graham was up the ladder,Herbert Wilson was footing the ladder and the mate was in the crane cab.Another crane on the same track rammed them.Graham fell onto billets.After Graham left Bayleys he got a job at the Rotherham district general hospital.I used to do contract work there and we worked together there on and off for many years.One time the hospital fire alarm panel caught fire (!!!!!!!!) and we worked together every day for months rewiring it.At Bayleys we were once doing some maintenance work on a motor and when we finished we started playing chess.I won the first game,then Graham won and then he won the decider.Unfortunately we finished after hometime! when we got back to the shop we ended up getting paid overtime.Sadly Graham died last year.Derrick Hogg worked at Davy Uniteds on Prince of Wales road until he was made redundant about 10 years ago.He set up his own busness but had a fall.I think that David Askwith told me when he was contracting there.I told Graham and he was going to see him as I think he was his best man.

---------- Post added 24-11-2013 at 23:59 ----------

Stuart Casson was the Elecrical training gaffer when I started. I knew Graham Fieldsend,Chris Mullins and Pat Maloney,I'm fact Iwas talking to Pat on here a few weeks ago along withMalc Stuart. Gaffers names I remember were Dennis Merry,Albert Hunt, Keith Clixby and Len Milsom

Does anybody have any pictures of Brown Bayley or their staff

---------- Post added 26-11-2013 at 00:00 ----------

Some more names Fred Finnigan (telephones),Frank Staniforth,Eric Taylor,Cyril (lampman)Bob Morrel (stores),Dick Roscoe,Stuart Baskill,Eric Sheldon,Colin Turner,Bill Costello,Gilbert Sanderson,Tony Mayer & Alan (armature winders),Alf (lister truck driver),Ken Downing,Jack Collier (painter) and his brother,Ken (electrics electrician),Ernest (motor man),..... Hunt,Billy Gill,... Ratcliffe,Fred ..... who got badly burnt by 11kv

Frank Staniforth was my Shift engineer in the melting shop,top man.

The last time I saw Les Cousins was at Unbreako Steels in Kiveton where he was the Engineer and also Alec Foggatt worked at Sparton Steels as the Engineer in Templeboro when I worked for Yorkshire Electricity.

served my apprenticeship as a maintenance fitter at brown bayleys between 1970 & 1974 i have lost my certificate does any one have any idea where details of apprenticeships maybe recorded